Another Dumb Questi...

Notifications
Clear all

Another Dumb Question From Ol" Daniel.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

How do you figure the proper burner angle for a forge? I know I've seen a mathematical deal to calculate the proper angle but I can't seem to find it. It will be a blow burner vertical forge with a shell that's 16" in diameter.

I would just wing it but I've already messed up the burner angle on one forge and it just won't swirl right. I want to get this one right.

Daniel.

Posted : 11/02/2018 5:37 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Daniel

The burner needs to be on a tangent with the inside diameter of the forge. You also need to angle the burner up at about 5° . This is how I built my two vertical forges,

one with a ventura burner and the other a designated welding forge with a blown burner. Both work perfect. I hope this is of some help.

Anthony

Posted : 11/02/2018 8:35 pm
Joshua States

When explaining methodology, it is best to use correct and accurate terminology.

I don't intend to chastise or demean you Anthony, but this statement:

"The burner needs to be on a tangent with the inside diameter of the forge."

Makes absolutely no sense. The diameter is the distance from one point on the circumference to another point as drawn through the center of the circle. You cannot have anything "tangent to the diameter" of a circle.

A tangent line is a straight line that only intersects the circle at a single point. So you cannot insert the burner at a tangent to the forge because it would be outside the forge.

Daniel, I don't know of any mathematical calculation for burner placement. I have built a couple of vertical forges with blown burners before and have found that a 2" pipe burner poking through the side of the forge works well in the following configuration. About a 10-15 degree offset from the diameter, in the upper third of the circle formed by the forge body. Keep the burner well below the forge door. So looking down into the forge, visualize a line (from left to right) cutting the circle in half. The half closest to you is the lower half, the one away from you is the upper half. For a 16 inch forge, about 3 inches away from the line into the upper half, put the center of the burner. Angle it about 10-15 degrees from parallel to the diameter, toward the far side of the forge body. If you need a drawing, send me a PM and I'll post one here.

One of the other smiths might also offer you a different way to figure this out.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 11/02/2018 11:25 pm
Matthew Parkinson

I just stick the burner in the side of the fore so that the flame hits the roof adn cascades around the wall .. me no maths..

MP

Posted : 13/02/2018 11:05 pm

Joshua

No problem, just thinking of one thing , typing another and trying to keep it short. The best way I can describe where to place the burner is the burner needs to be centered and on a tangent with the inside

wall of the forge. You will have to mould a channel into the wall to allow clearance for the burner flame when you are applying the refractory coating. The channel will help and start the flame to follow the circular shape of the inside of the forge creating the swirling of the flame inside the forge. You also need to aim or point the burner upward a small amount, this also helps create the swirling of the flame

inside the forge from bottom to top with no hot spots inside the forge a good even heat.

If you have or had seen the WIP on building a forge that MS Ed Caffery showed about a year ago.You would have seen a good example of the channel on the inside wall of the forge. The burner is also best if it

comes into the forge from the sides of the forge and not pointed at the front or back window.

I hope this helps and does not confuse more.

Anthony

Posted : 14/02/2018 3:40 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll be able to figure it out now!

Posted : 15/02/2018 8:07 pm
Dale Huckabee

Mine goes straight in. I've never had any problems with it. It hit 2400°, the other day, before I turned it down some.

Dale Huckabee

Journeyman Smith

dalehuckabeeknives.weebly.com

Posted : 25/02/2018 4:23 pm
Share: