Mounting A Post Vis...

Notifications
Clear all

Mounting A Post Vise To A Stand

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

well i resently got a post vise and i want to be able to move it around my small shop so i was thinking i would mount it on one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LPFITWA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 however as i now have a low end Lincoln Electric welder so I could fabracate a stand. i cant quite make up my mind and could use some wisdom.

Posted : 09/03/2018 4:21 pm
Lin Rhea

Kevin, The Amazon stand is not suitable. You'd have to add pieces and I doubt it would be a good starting point. A post vise must have the post bottom secured as well as the top. A heavy base is what you'll need and frame it up to the level of the mounting bracket where it should bolt solid. It needs to be heavy enough to resist moving but still be movable. Some folks use a 3/4 inch plate, maybe 24 inch square or round with small steel wheels on two corners (or places if it's round) so it can be tipped and moved. I would search youtube for "post vise portable" and see what you can learn. I'll look myself.

Edited to add: The first one that popped up uses a big truck brake drum as the base and it is a solid idea.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 09/03/2018 4:56 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I attached mine to a piece of I-beam and added some railroad track and a block of steel for an anvil:

It's pretty heavy, but I can yank it back to use the wheels to move it around like a hand-truck.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 09/03/2018 7:58 pm
Topic starter

Hmm well frankly i have no idea were to go to get a I beam were I live, however I do have a architectural steel sculpture constructed from 1/4th inch plate that weighs around 50 LBS and a few other things like a steel barrel, a few plumbing parts from my first forge, I could rig something up from what i have on hand, however first i need to know how much my vise ways (i know i misspelled it) here's a shot of mine as its a bit of a different design and brand new.

for any of my fellow aprentices who may want to get one heres a link: https://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/products/anvils-vises.html funny thing is i got these guys from the abs main site.

Attached files

Posted : 09/03/2018 8:43 pm
New Member Guest

I made mine out of 3/8" plate for the base, and 1/4" square tube. The top table is 3/8's also to bold the vice to. Under the base I installed a piece of horse stall mat to protect the tile floor. It slides very easily around my shop.

Posted : 09/03/2018 10:01 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I made mine out of 3/8" plate for the base, and 1/4" square tube. The top table is 3/8's also to bold the vice to. Under the base I installed a piece of horse stall mat to protect the tile floor. It slides very easily around my shop.

smart idea.

Posted : 11/03/2018 1:17 pm
Topic starter

Heres a shot of how i mounted Jaws. i am likely going to eventually upgrade the stand as i just wire bound it to the drum. looks dont really matter, what matters is it works and i can use it now. =)...Opps forgot to add the photo

Posted : 14/03/2018 7:59 pm
Topic starter

Ok finally got it bolted down instead of wired in like it is in this picture, however i still have it wired to the bottom of the barrel. so do i need the shaft of the post to touch the ground?

Attached files

Posted : 14/04/2018 3:07 pm
New Member Guest

I didn't have any luck finding a leg vise at a reasonable price nor did I want to drop 500-800 on a new one. Decided to mount a vise on a post. Also decided to make it fixed in place instead of portable. So I bolted 2 large pieces of wood together and dug a hole in the shop floor 4 foot deep. 1 foot of drain rock packed at the bottom then cemented the post into place. Used my belt grinder table to hold the post plumb while the concrete sets up. I figure down the road when i pick up a proper vise I can mount it to this post if it holds up. It'll work for now I think.

Attached files

Posted : 15/04/2018 4:01 am
Share: