Notifications
Clear all

Anvil Advice

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

I have been on a search for an Anvil far and wide in my area. Most places who have them are asking 5-700 dollars for 100 lb anvils. That is a bit too much for me starting out. I posted on a local yardsale site that I was looking for an anvil for bladesmithing. Months went by and no luck. One day out of the blue, a guy at work stops and asks me if I am looking for an anvil. His girlfriends parents have one they are selling. I contact the lady and she sends me these pictures. It is a Wilkinson anvil that is over 100#. It appears to be in need of repair. My question is, Is it usable as is for bladesmithing? Is the price right at $125? I know nothing about anvils, so your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Posted : 06/06/2018 6:43 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

OH MAN! That is a shame. Were it not for the break, that might be a nice anvil. The problem with something like that break is that no matter what you do, you're not going to "fix" it. You can "repair" it, but it's not going to hold. My personal opinion of that anvil is that it's nothing more than scrap in that condition. That being said, you could remove that broken tail, clean up the face, and hammer on it, but it would be awkward to use.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 06/06/2018 8:07 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Aaron

Personally I would stay away from this anvil. It is for the most part scrap. Google anvils for sale, and go to the blacksmithing supplies sights or farrier supplies. There you can find all kinds

of new anvils. No the price is still not cheap and shipping will probably be $200 plus, but still a lot less than a good older anvil. The collectors have drove the price of the good old anvils

sky high. I also would not consider a anvil that was less than 200 pounds to forge on unless you are planing on hauling it around and moving it like a farrier would. For forging the bigger the

anvil the better.

I hope this helps you some.

Anthony

Posted : 06/06/2018 8:17 am
Lin Rhea

This anvil can be used for bladesmithing but it will never again be worth the price of one that is "whole". It is a reasonable price for the situation I suppose just to get something to work with. I am looking myself for a third anvil but since I have two very nice ones already, I am going to very picky and wait on the right anvil for the right deal. My situation is different. I'll pay more for a better one since I have that luxury to wait. Decisions.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 06/06/2018 8:24 am
New Member Guest

Thank you for the responses. I have a 4x4x9 pc of 4140 that I can use as a post anvil. So, I guess I will save my $125 and put it towards a useful one. Thanks again!

Posted : 06/06/2018 9:16 am
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Aaron,

Try contacting your local auctioneers and let them know that you're wanting an anvil. That way when they have one coming up for auction they can notify you which they are glad to do.

Posted : 06/06/2018 10:05 am
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Aaron,

Try contacting your local auctioneers and let them know that you're wanting an anvil. That way when they have one coming up for auction they can notify you which they are glad to do.

Thank you Gary, I will do that. My brother, who is and antiques dealer, has his ear out for me as well.

Posted : 06/06/2018 10:28 am
Share: