Clear all

Marking Your Knife

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Travis
Topic starter

Hi all,

I was wondering how those if you that stamp your blades go about doing it? I got a stamp of my mark and have tried hot stamping it but I can never seem to get it right. I tried the hydraulic press and just ruined the piece I was stamping.

Posted : 04/06/2018 8:00 pm
Lin Rhea

I mostly etch my stamp in. For the same reasons you mention. Karl Andersen has a system that works as well as I've seen when it comes to using the actual stamp. Considering that his name has 8 letters, which adds to the difficulty, he's doing it right. Maybe he can help in a bit.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 05/06/2018 8:16 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Here's a link to an article on my website about marking blades..... http://www.caffreyknives.net/marking_art.html

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 05/06/2018 8:22 am
Karl B. Andersen

Please use this as just an idea - I used what materials I had available.

You can certainly put your own twist on things.

These pictures are nearly a decade old, but you get the idea.

(I have long since switched to etching my marks.)

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 06/06/2018 9:28 am

I have a question the sorta leads off of the how to mark. Should an apprentice smith mark the blade with AP below the name to indicate that ?

Minimum Effort = Minimum Results every time

Posted : 23/03/2019 1:21 pm

|quoted:

I have a question the sorta leads off of the how to mark. Should an apprentice smith mark the blade with AP below the name to indicate that ?

was supposed to say AS, I need to not use my phone without glasses on and hit send.......face palm

Minimum Effort = Minimum Results every time

Posted : 23/03/2019 1:23 pm

|quoted:

was supposed to say AS, I need to not use my phone without glasses on and hit send.......face palm

This thread is a bit old but I noticed nobody answered you. It is my understanding that only Journeymen and Master Smiths are allowed to affiliate with the ABS when it comes to marks, and that Apprentice smiths are not to use the ABS in their marks or sales documentation. I thought I read it in the bylaws but could be wrong, notwithstanding Article 2, section i. Hopefully someone can correct me if I’m wrong.

Posted : 15/08/2019 12:29 am
Share: