Notifications
Clear all

Apprentice Progress So Far...

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hey all,

So, first off, not sure if I uploaded these pictures properly; let me know if I need to fix it (pretty sure they're out of order).

Anyway, this is one of the first blades I've worked on so I'll go through the process and equipment as best I can and welcome any comments:

First off, started with 1095 bar stock, because that's what I could find on Amazon. That said I definitely need a better source of steel.

Formed the blade first (Pic 1) and ran into the issue of the opposite corner rolling inwards until I had almost a forked bar to work with; took me forever to work that out.

Narrowed out the handle next (pic 2); had to use the grinder to cut off the excess at the end, so I definitely need to look at some hardies for cutting metal.

Shaped the rest of the handle off of the horn and ground out the edges and started shaping the blade (pics 3 + 4).

At this point some equipment issues reared up: the cheap Grizzly anvil I bought had already been chipped and scarred with minimal work. I recognize that I need to pick up something better; I've been looking at the NC Tool Anvils, so if anyone has any input on these I'd appreciate it. Second, the 1x30" sander I have is a bit of speedbump. My question here is, do I pick up a Fox Shop 2x72 upright for $600 or spend about the same amount to build my own (I've found some designs online that look like they may work)? I honestly just don't have the $2K+ for anything professional right now, though I was looking at Ameribrade and they had a set up for under $1K that looked reasonable if anyone has had any experience with it.

All right so moving to handle and edge (pics 5+6); I think I accidentally hardened the tang before I tried to drill, because I ate up a few bits. Think this happened when I was shaping the final curve in the hilt. Any way to avoid this in the future? Also I'm having some issues shaping the edge, not really sure where to go with here but I'm looking at buying a guide and scribe.

The rest of the pics are shop photos (I'm sure there will be plenty of critiques there...) and a photo of some neck knives I've started work on.

Anyways, where to go from here? What's the best way to harden and temper 1095? What skills should I be focusing on? Which equipment should I invest in next and what are the best resources/sites?

Thanks ahead of time, and please be as brutal as possible, it's the only way I'll get any better.

-Logan

Attached files

Posted : 20/06/2018 8:28 pm

Logan - Welcome to the ABS. If you haven't already done so I suggest reading through the "Topic of the Month" section on this forum as it is very informative. Also, there's several supplier and information links available on the main ABS site that may help you out.

Second, the 1x30" sander I have is a bit of speedbump. My question here is, do I pick up a Fox Shop 2x72 upright for $600 or spend about the same amount to build my own (I've found some designs online that look like they may work)? I honestly just don't have the $2K+ for anything professional right now, though I was looking at Ameribrade and they had a set up for under $1K that looked reasonable if anyone has had any experience with it.

I was in this spot a few years ago. I know the expense is high on top end grinders, but they're worth it. Nobody likes to hear that, but I'd like to kick my own rear for trying to save money on grinders! Maybe my story will be of assistance if you've decided to invest some money into this hobby.

I had access to a grizzly grinder when I started tinkering around with knives. It was way too fast for me. A few years ago, I bought the cheapest variable speed 2x72" grinder I could find. It works, but..... Am I happy with it now? No. Will I get my money back out of it? Not a chance. Will I be replacing it soon? Absolutely. I began saving for a new one after only 4 months of use and after 2 years of saving specifically for a top end grinder, I'm finally going to pull the trigger this fall on the one I should've bought in the first place. Buy once, cry once.

Have fun and keep making knives!

Posted : 21/06/2018 5:51 pm
New Member Guest

Matt,

That seems to be the overall consensus on grinders. I should probably start saving for something decent, but I'm pretty sure this 1x30 is going to break before I can afford a Weurx or a Wilmont. So I guess my next question would be, what's a good intermediate?

Thanks for the feedback, I'll just keep trudging along and post as I go.

-Logan

Posted : 21/06/2018 6:00 pm
Share: