Notifications
Clear all

Working 1095

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hey all,

So I've got my first few blades forged and shaped from stock 1095. Next step is heat treating. My plan as of now is to heat to non-magnetic, quench in mineral oil, and then temper at 425 for two hours twice, allowing the blade to cool in between tempering.

Now, I'm sure this will get a lot of feedback, but the reason I'm posting on here is because between Youtube, Google, and this site, I've had some conflicting information. I should also mention that I do not have a kiln, salt bath, or any other advanced methods available. I have a single burner forge and an oven which my wife is already not happy about me putting blades in to...

So...what do I do?

Thanks,

Logan

Posted : 21/06/2018 5:26 pm

I've become very cautions of the information floating around the world wide web regarding heat treatment. You will not get led astray from the guys here.

I don't work with 1095 so I can't help you much other than to direct you to Kevin Cashen's website. He has some information specific to 1095 that may be of assistance.

Posted : 21/06/2018 6:02 pm
New Member Guest

Cool thanks Matt!

Posted : 21/06/2018 6:07 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

Keep it below 1475°F and quench it real fast. Good steel but you have to play by its rules, treat it like it is any other steel and you will probably not like how things work out.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 21/06/2018 8:41 pm

|quoted:

Keep it below 1475°F and quench it real fast. Good steel but you have to play by its rules, treat it like it is any other steel and you will probably not like how things work out.

could you define Real Fast? do you want to use a fast quench medium or just get it into the medium fast?

Posted : 27/03/2019 3:54 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

could you define Real Fast? do you want to use a fast quench medium or just get it into the medium fast?

Fast quench medium. How fast you get there is relatively insignificant as long as you don't take a coffee break and it's still hot when you get there.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 27/03/2019 7:29 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

I don't work with 1095 so I can't help you much other than to direct you to Kevin Cashen's website. He has some information specific to 1095 that may be of assistance.

Now available right here on the ABS University Forum

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/03/2019 8:53 pm

|quoted:

Fast quench medium. How fast you get there is relatively insignificant as long as you don't take a coffee break and it's still hot when you get there.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Posted : 29/03/2019 9:23 pm
Share: