Notifications
Clear all

ARMADILLO SCALES??

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

so i was scrolling through jantz and i stumbled across some armadillo scales for sale and i tried to find a video on somebody using them but couldn't find any so i was wondering how you would use them are they similar to ray skin?

Posted : 05/12/2023 2:01 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I suspect they are made up of some type of clear resin with the armadillo within.  Frankly IMO, these are just a fadish handle material, similar to all the others that are created using some type of clear resin.  The problem with all of these type of handle material is the resin iteself....  even with all our modern technology, they still can't produce a clear resin that stands up to the test of time.  The problem is UV light.... it starts to break down these types of resins in very short order. 

In my experience, about 5 years is the max lifespan of these types of material, then they will be "cloudy", yellowed, are crazed (hazy due to a bunch of tiny cracks throughout the material).  and is a big reason NOT to use them.   I went through a situation in my early years where using the wrong epoxy cost me a great deal of heartache and regret, and using just about any of the "clear resin" handle material will end up doing the same thing.   My advice is the steer clear of any handle material where the main component is a clear resin, because I can assure you that it will come back to haunt you.  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 06/12/2023 10:48 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

thanks for the advice but i thing the scales are actual armadillo hide hear is a photo of it

Posted : 06/12/2023 1:40 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I see.... armadillo hide pieces.   Still would have to be utilized with some type of clear material for handle scales/blocks.... Not something I would personally do.

I simply haven't seen any type of clear resin material that will handle (pun intended) the test of time (exposed to UV light).  I've had knives come back to me after 5-6 years because I chose the wrong epoxy, and that is the absolute most embarrassing/low feeling I've ever had as a Bladesmith/Knifemaker.  With ANY of the handle materials built on clear resin, it's not a matter of IF they will fail....it's WHEN.  

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 06/12/2023 8:51 pm
Share: