Did I Blue Back The...

Notifications
Clear all

Did I Blue Back These Right And Rockwell Hardness Question

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have only done about 2 successful blue backings at this time so I am not all that good at it. I am ok with these being a little too soft for a propper blue backing as one of them is going to be a journeymen performance test knife, and also i already had a soft spine on them from claying them and was just being extra cautious.

also as i literally only recently got some hardness tester files i am wondering just what hardness i should be shooting for the ABS performance test Journeymen. I checked with them after taking this picture so i would say the edges of these four blades are between 62 and 55 HRC as the 60 file of my set can be up to 62 HRC and i was shooting for about 60 HRC.

Note: on the second blade from the top i did not get all the decarb off of it so it's not as dark as it looks in the picture.

Attached files

Posted : 13/08/2020 2:29 pm
Joshua States

Just a few thoughts for you to consider.

1. The test knife does not need to have a point. So why put one in?

2. It would be better to make one knife, complete through HT and blue back, grind and sharpen it, all the time keeping a log and a photo record of the process, then put it through the test.

This is your "proof of concept" test blade. If it works, see if you can repeat it. That is your "proof of process test blade.

3. If the first one doesn't work, or fails one part of the test, ask for help on what went wrong. Change the process until you get a "proof of concept" blade that works. Repeat that same process and get the "proof of process' blade.

The idea is to work through the process, until you have the process dialed in and controllable.

Are all 4 of those done using the same process? If the first one fails, the other three will likely fail too.

The first one I made failed the 2x4 chopping (I rolled the edge). The second one passed the 2x4, but failed the bend.

The third one passed and I had "proof of concept", so I made another one and followed the process exactly as the last one.

This fourth also passed the test. I now had "proof of process" and made another one exactly the same way.

I also photographed the bend to make sure I went all the way to 90 degrees.

Remember: Geometry is just as important as HT, maybe even more important.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 13/08/2020 11:33 pm
Topic starter

the bend test is just fine however the blue was the wrong color near the tip of two is as its now too soft to hold an edge, otherwise, they work perfect as. I have been testing out the blade shape since march with great results. the reason I am going for a tip is to get maximum length with minimum amount of steel used 10 inches to be exact. I tend to get a blade sharp then hacked threw a 2x4 without a handle. impact gloves help keep my hand from hurting somewhat not something anyone really should do.

Attached files

Posted : 20/08/2020 5:41 pm
Share: