Heavy Chopping Knif...

Notifications
Clear all

Heavy Chopping Knife Handle Width (Edge To Spine Direction)

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

What is a good handle width going spine to edge for a chopper? i tend to make what I feel are too skinny of a handle. it kinda drove me bonkers today and i had to leave my forge. hers a shot of 3 blades on a large cutting mat to allow for proper size judgment. thank you in advance for the help.

you might be able to tell by the size that these are there for my journeyman performance test as I keep finding a mistake or something I am not satisfied with and keep throwing them in the scrap been so now I am making a series in order to hopefully get one right as i have already tested the design out. I currently have nine of this pattern in my scrap bin.

Attached files

Posted : 07/08/2020 8:27 pm
Patrick Mattingly

I'll leave the details for our journeyman and masters, but I shoot for between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" in the palm swell. The thickest part of my handles for a chopper is always the butt of the knife, for grip retention. I have an example of one I call (the heavy camp knife) in my gallery if you're interested.

You have some really good looking work there by the way!

Have a great evening.

Patrick

Posted : 07/08/2020 8:50 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I'll leave the details for our journeyman and masters, but I shoot for between 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" in the palm swell. The thickest part of my handles for a chopper is always the butt of the knife, for grip retention. I have an example of one I call (the heavy camp knife) in my gallery if you're interested.

You have some really good looking work there by the way!

Have a great evening.

Patrick

thanks for the tip and the complement. however, something you should consider is that not everyone is a fan of fat bottom knives for me as if they're not fitted to my hand there very uncomfortable for me but I am one of those guys with very large hands so i am something of an exception. to prevent hand slip I forged a shoulder at the bottom of my shared blades its why I did the L shape at the bottom of the tang on these.

Posted : 08/08/2020 5:25 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Your best bet would be to try a bunch of different factory knife handles and find a shape and dimensions that you like.

Posted : 09/08/2020 5:08 am
Share: