Notifications
Clear all

Dressing An Anvil

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding my anvil. Should I dress the edges or not? Also how does one go about dressing their anvil? I appreciate any feedback. Attached is a picture of the anvil I bout locally, poor thing had been sitting out in the rain for who knows how long.

Attached files

Posted : 21/07/2019 9:32 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I don't see anything about size.....which would play into my consideration to buy or not. Anyway. the way I would "dress" it would be to find a machine shop with a large enough milling machine, or surface grinder, and clean up the entire face at once.....you'll be far ahead in time, effort, and money to do it that way.

Years ago I "dressed" a 125lb Vulcan by hand/draw filing......it took over 3 weeks and even then it wasn't right. AVOID things like angle grinders (unless you are VERY GOOD with one) Too many times I have seen individuals "clean up" an anvil with an angle grinder, and it's a real train wrech.....the surface looks like a pond's surface on a windy day (all rippled up).

As with anything, if you're going to "clean up" or "dress up" and anvil, doing it "right" the first time will same you time, money, and a lot of heartache.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 22/07/2019 9:11 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

I don't see anything about size.....which would play into my consideration to buy or not. Anyway. the way I would "dress" it would be to find a machine shop with a large enough milling machine, or surface grinder, and clean up the entire face at once.....you'll be far ahead in time, effort, and money to do it that way.

Years ago I "dressed" a 125lb Vulcan by hand/draw filing......it took over 3 weeks and even then it wasn't right. AVOID things like angle grinders (unless you are VERY GOOD with one) Too many times I have seen individuals "clean up" an anvil with an angle grinder, and it's a real train wrech.....the surface looks like a pond's surface on a windy day (all rippled up).

As with anything, if you're going to "clean up" or "dress up" and anvil, doing it "right" the first time will same you time, money, and a lot of heartache.

Thank you very much for the time and answer. I'll take your advice.

Posted : 22/07/2019 11:19 am
Share: