Clear all

Early Learning

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

Hi everyone!

i am new as a smith apprentice.

I need help, I can't find the courses or exercises that will allow me to start my journeyman smith learning.

In short, I need some advice in order to use the forum better.

Thank you in advance for your answers

cordially

Posted : 13/01/2020 5:09 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

|quoted:

Hi everyone!

i am new as a smith apprentice.

I need help, I can't find the courses or exercises that will allow me to start my journeyman smith learning.

In short, I need some advice in order to use the forum better.

Thank you in advance for your answers

cordially

Hello Guilhem,

Probably the most power tool for any forum is the search function, but it can be so less stimulating than direct conversation that people seldom use it. That is why many of us are here, to answer your questions directly if archived conversations cannot.

Realize that one of the toughest questions in all of knifemaking to answer is “how do I make a knife?”, because entire books have been devoted to it only to scratch the surface. While something more along the lines of “what tool should I get first if I want to make knives?” may get you more answers than you can count.

What specific area of your education towards Journeyman level do you need the most help with? Start there and just keep asking questions. People like to think that forums like this are about answers, but it is people like yourself, asking questions that keep forums going strong.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 13/01/2020 5:27 pm
Joshua States

Hello Gulhem, and welcome to the madness!

I will ask you a couple of questions and maybe we can get to the answers you are looking for.

You said in your introduction, that you have been a blacksmith cutler, for four years.

Now, I know what a blacksmith is, and I know what a cutler is, but I have never seen the two words combined.

What is a "blacksmith cutler"?

I will assume from the blacksmith title, that you have some experience forging.

I will also assume from the cutler title, that you have some experience assembling the parts of a knife into a whole knife.

What kind of tools and equipment do you have? What projects have you made recently? (show us some photos, I love seeing other people's work!)

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 13/01/2020 10:02 pm
Topic starter

Hello, in response to your message, I can already detail the equipment I have.

a coal forge, a gas forge, anvil, hammer ... etc, a mechanical hammer, a backstand, drill press ... etc.

for the photos of what I do, with pleasure I will take a closer look at how to share them.

Posted : 14/01/2020 4:05 am
Share: