Clear all

Everything you can tell me about plunge lines

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Kale Cope
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I'm working on a railroad spike knife ( Yes, I have told the customer that it really is just a fancy piece of metal) And I find myself wondering how to perfect these plunge lines. So if y'all could just dump everything abut plunge lines you know, that could be great. Also, how do I change my profile info, because it brings me to a screen that says "sorry, something is wrong with your data" when I try

Posted : 20/11/2022 12:54 am
Joshua C States
Reputable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

This is a perfect opportunity to try typing:

Search https://www.americanbladesmith.org/community/ + "plunge" into the Google search bar. (I got 2,300 results.)

There are many different ways to do the plunge lines. So let's begin with what is the question, because this is a huge topic.

Do you want to know how to forge them in, or how to grind them? Maybe all you are asking is how to polish them? There are many different techniques for all these functions, and no real one size fits all approach. Most methods use special tooling. Some tools can be purchased, or you can make them yourself. 

Ideally, the plunge cuts should be lined up with each other from side to side, the same depth into the blade, and travel the same distance from the bottom of the ricasso to the spine. That's perfectly alligned in all three dimensions. 

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 20/11/2022 1:09 am
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

What are you "plunging" with? Sometimes if you want what others have you have to do it the way they do it.

Outside of my own two hands, my variable speed grinders are the most valuable tools in my shop - as far as grinding and building knives goes. Pretty much all things are possible with one of those.

Is that something you have?

Posted : 21/11/2022 9:40 am
Kale Cope
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I do have access to one, I also have a file guide. But I can’t get the belt grinder to get right up to it.

Posted : 22/11/2022 12:50 am
Share: