Clear all

Grain size heat treat question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Kevin Stinson
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Om...all i did was take this leaf spring blade up to reddish-orange heat once before takinging it out in my forge, let it slow cool by my forge then carefully heat treated it with my forge and a temperature gun quenched in parks 50. tempered at 405 F 2 times in my kitchen oven. I had struck it multiple times with a three-pound hammer just to break it at a cold shut after putting a notch in it with it locked in a vice then at my anvil I accidentally forged into it, it took two hard hits with a four-pound hammer, and my anvil to finally break it. this seems to have produced a fairly fine grain blade but I am not sure.

Posted : 04/07/2022 9:51 pm
Topic Tags
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Kevin, 

The fractured end grain is not really as clean as it should be.  I am not sure of all that I am seeing but you could have had a rougher fracture due to the tempering, or you could have a mixed microstructure.  #50 is a bit fast for an alloy steel, but if you are only doing grain analysis it may not matter as much.  You fractured surface should be a bit smoother with a velvety appearance. 

Posted : 05/07/2022 9:59 am
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

Thank you. I am not sure how it might affect the structure but I was having a very hard time breaking it so I likely really stressed the grain structure of the steel as I had to smash it with a hammer about 10-20 times before I finally broke it there. that was really the shocking part to me. here's a shot of a different brake where I accidentally put a cold shut in. I am trying to forge an integrated t-shaped pummel at the handle. and was not being as careful as I should have been with drawing it down. I think it has a more velvety appearance.

the knife was also too big for my small amount of AAA...and I lost about half of it when my container got spilled recently. the knife was 12's overall. So I used 50 because that was all I had in a container that would fit the blade. 

PS: i am trying to calibrate my eye to what good grain structure looks like.

This post was modified 2 years ago by Kevin Stinson

Posted : 05/07/2022 11:36 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Not the same steel but a shot of grain on a heat treated coupon of aeb-l.  The broken sections are the same piece of steel, I cut a 15 dps edge for testing on the one side after breaking it.  This was done after tempering.  I cut a shallow control line with an abrasive wheel, put it in a vice and used a cheater bar to break it.  I can’t imagine trying to break a knife as chunky as yours with a hammer on an anvil.

Posted : 06/07/2022 11:23 pm
Kevin Stinson
Topic starter

thanks.

Posted : 13/07/2022 12:35 pm
Share: