I Need A Larger Pro...

Notifications
Clear all

I Need A Larger Propane Forge Should I Build My Own Or Buy It?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Well, I have actually bought the greate knifemaking forge in the Atlus mini forge (mines a generation older than the stainless) and love it however I want to start making knives and other weapons of protection that just will not fit in the AM. I bought a larger forge from a different company and had a bad experience a larger forge I bought (however had a good experience with the makers so I am not going to state who made it) so I am toying with the idea of making my own as I can make it how I want it. I do have the skills to build things with a good amount of precision and also have a large burner made by the Atlus knife company so I am not worried about making the burner which I honestly not comfortable doing do to the dangers mistakes can cause.

If I were to make it with a double shell using a square outer shell fabricated from some plate steel, a line that with Kaowool then use a circular inner shell lined with morter and then refractory cement along with a flat bottom made from firebrick. I would have a shelf to allow for firebrick sliding doors.

So which should I go with? i would share the design I have in mind before building it.

Posted : 05/01/2019 5:40 pm

This is my forge. Its a blown burner forge made from a old refrigerant can. Its got 2inchs of fiber blanket, a green cast floor(flux proof) and satanite on the walls and a coating of Itc 100 on top of the satanite. Its gets to welding heat in 10min and I have a pid and thermocouple so I can control the temp pretty good. If you have "weapons" that you want to forge that won't fit in that then I suggest that you should get a coal(solid fuel) forge.

Attached files

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 05/01/2019 9:45 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Plenty of plans out there for building your own.

I went with one from Outlast Forge. He is in Iowa down by Des Moines and provides a nice product for a good price.

I know he is working on some larger formats of the propane forge but noting on his site yet.

Give him a message on FB and see what he has. I know he has a larger one he did customs for someone too.

Posted : 07/01/2019 12:58 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Although I'm a "build it" personality, there are so many factors and situations to consider from person to person.... it's tough to say.

The main reason I build my own is because I've had years of experience with all types of forges, and have learned the subtle specifics that either add to, or detract from a forges usefulness, efficiency, and capabilities.

Most are things that go unnoticed to many....things like the placement of the fuel inlet, the angle which a burner enters the forge chamber, the use of a ball valve versus a needle valve....etc, ect.

If things like that don't make any sense to you, then it's likely best to purchase a forge. If those sort of things DO make sense, then you likely have the level of experience, and the pattern of thought to build your own forge.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 12/01/2019 6:49 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

If things like that don't make any sense to you, then it's likely best to purchase a forge. If those sort of things DO make sense, then you likely have the level of experience, and the pattern of thought to build your own forge.

As always, Ed has summed up the considerations. I would like to add one small bit. If you want a better understanding of forge dynamics from a practical standpoint, you should try building your own. Forge building is like making anything else, you gain the knowledge by reading and then by doing. You may make your first forge and use it for a year or two (like the one you currently have), decide it doesn't meet your needs and scrap it out. Then you find out how to improve the design to meet your needs and build the next one.

I have built probably a half dozen propane forges over the last 12 years. 4 venturi style and 2 blown burners that I remember. I also recently built a solid fuel forge, but have yet to fire it up. There are countless videos and published documents out there on propane forge building. I say go for the build it option. The knowledge you will gain will be well worth the effort.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 13/01/2019 12:09 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Although I'm a "build it" personality, there are so many factors and situations to consider from person to person.... it's tough to say.

The main reason I build my own is because I've had years of experience with all types of forges, and have learned the subtle specifics that either add to, or detract from a forges usefulness, efficiency, and capabilities.

Most are things that go unnoticed to many....things like the placement of the fuel inlet, the angle which a burner enters the forge chamber, the use of a ball valve versus a needle valve....etc, ect.

As allways you give great advice I learned a lot from trying to get a forge I had bought that had some large design flaws to work. however, admit I do not know much about valves. think I'll save some cash and get a book on building a propane forge as I already have a burner for a larger forge...somewhere in my shop.

Posted : 25/01/2019 4:43 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

This is my forge. Its a blown burner forge made from a old refrigerant can. Its got 2inchs of fiber blanket, a green cast floor(flux proof) and satanite on the walls and a coating of Itc 100 on top of the satanite. Its gets to welding heat in 10min and I have a pid and thermocouple so I can control the temp pretty good. If you have "weapons" that you want to forge that won't fit in that then I suggest that you should get a coal(solid fuel) forge.

Have one of those already, started with one I built. although I prefer charcoal as I can get it far faster and i also do not need to make coke. however, I like propane.

Posted : 25/01/2019 4:51 pm
Share: