Notifications
Clear all

Forge Problem

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just bought a gas forge and it seems to be okay, however I I had my billet in for an hour and it is not getting red hot. It is only 3/16what could be wrong?

I have blocked off both ends but still allowing air flow. I have put fire bricks in to get it closer to the flame exit, taken them out .

Posted : 26/10/2018 4:45 pm
BrionTomberlin

William is it a venturi forge or does it have a blower? Also what brand of forge is it? It sounds like you are either not getting enough airflow or not enough gas pressure.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 26/10/2018 9:39 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

William is it a venturi forge or does it have a blower? Also what brand of forge is it? It sounds like you are either not getting enough airflow or not enough gas pressure.

Brion

It is a venturi. I do have a regulator from a gas heater at the bottle. I may have found the issue though, the venturi was making a hissing sound, which I thought was normal, then I noticed orange flame in the venturi. I blew it out and relit it after that it stopped the hissing and was blowing blue flame.

Thank you for your quick response, this is my first project I’m a true greenhorn.

Posted : 27/10/2018 12:31 pm
Topic starter

Wha PSI regulator do I need? I am trying to use a BBQ 20 bottle. I am still not getting hot enough?

Please help.

Posted : 11/11/2018 3:59 pm
BrionTomberlin

William you will probably need a higher pressure regulator, like 20 to 30 psi, and it needs to be adjustable. This is so you can adjust gas flow. Most forge setups also have a pressure gauge. A number of places online have them. Like NC Tool company and Zoeller Forge.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 11/11/2018 9:39 pm
Topic starter

Thank You>

Posted : 12/11/2018 3:58 pm
Share: