Notifications
Clear all

Identifying makers mark

4 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

I'm new to the forum, and I don't know if this is the right place to post... Here goes... I picked up what appears to be a katana blade. It has a makers mark that I hope someone can identify. Or point me in the right direction to identify it. Below is a picture of the maker's mark and the overall blade. Thanks for pointers.

This topic was modified 2 years ago by Charles Alexander

Posted : 27/01/2022 4:53 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

I'm not an expert on the way other cultures/bladesmith mark their work, but on the surface that appears it might be an authentic Japanese character(s).   Hopefully someone else can offer an avenue/contact where you can learn more.

A quick search turned up these:  https://www.thejapanesesword.com/   

or possibly: https://nihontoantiques.com/   either might be worth the effort of contacting them.

I'm going to use your post as a platform to discuss one of my pet peeves.... marker's marks/marking blades. 

If you are a Bladesmith, and using some obscure logo, initials, or other mark that does nothing to identify who made a blade/knife, then you are basically destroying your own future.  At the very least.... a name! And if possible, any additional information that can further point an interested party to YOU. 

Example:  In my case, I mark one side of the ricasso with CAFFREY, and fortunately I am the only Caffrey that I know of in the custom knife world.  The other side of the ricasso is marked with my MS stamp, further identifying a piece as specifically mine.

That means that if you were to do an internet search using only the information presented on one of my blades..... I'd be first to pop up.  The point being, if people can't identify a knife as being made by you, then they have no way of finding you, and will usually quickly move along, to another Bladesmith, that is easier to find.  

This can also play a MAJOR role in the future/long term value of your knives.... image if Bill Moran chose to mark his blades with some strange logo, or even with "BM".....  not only would there be constant questioning as to authenticity, but those blades/knives would almost certainly not be nearly as valuable at they are with "Moran" on them.   

If you're serious enough about Blademsithing to be on these forums, then I suspect this is more than a hobby to you, and you are serious about Bladesmithing and your knives.  If you're fairly new, or just beginning your Bladesmithing journey, and already are using some strange way to mark your blades.... I'd advise you to change your mark NOW to what I've spoken of above.  Few to none will ever be lucky enough to ever have their knives easily recognized via a brand name or a logo.... Just sayin.  😉   

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 28/01/2022 11:26 am
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Charles. To me it appears to be the blade from a type 65 chinese military sword.. I do not believe it is a japanese military blade.

Brion

Posted : 28/01/2022 11:40 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Thank you. Seems most likely a type 65. Going to see what I can find on the history of the blade!

Posted : 31/01/2022 12:19 pm
Share: