Clear all

JS Test question

4 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I joined the ABS on June 8th 2021

Can I do the JS performance test anytime after June 8th 2023, or do I have to wait till after Jan 2024?

I realize That the week delay after the annual meeting throws me into 2025 for the Judging part. 

The date time thing is confusing to an old man. I'll be 70 when I submit my 5 knives. 

Thank-you in advance

Andy 

Posted : 13/06/2021 7:20 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

You must be a Apprentice Smith for 3 years  and 2 years if you took an approved Introduction to Bladesmithing class. You must have 2 or 3 years as Apprentice Smith before the Annual show which was in Atlanta this year on June 5th 2021. You also must have your performance test done prior to the Annual show in order for your knives to be judge.

Posted : 13/06/2021 7:43 am
James Keeton reacted
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Hello Andy. You have three years from when you do your performance test to submit your five submission knives. So yes you could do your performance test in 2023. You can take one year off the wait if you take one of the Introduction to Bladesmithing courses at one of the schools. Edited to say that you must be an apprentice for two years before you can take your performance test, unless you take the above course which would shorten the time by one year.

Brion

Posted : 13/06/2021 8:08 pm
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Posted by: @sharpeknivesyahoo-com

I joined the ABS on June 8th 2021

Can I do the JS performance test anytime after June 8th 2023, or do I have to wait till after Jan 2024?

I realize That the week delay after the annual meeting throws me into 2025 for the Judging part. 

The date time thing is confusing to an old man. I'll be 70 when I submit my 5 knives. 

Thank-you in advance

Andy 

Not that I’m anyone. You can take your performance test after 2 years of apprenticeship. And “IF” you have completed the “Introduction to Bladesmithing” course from an approved school you could potentially have your 5 blades judged as soon as 2023 depending on when during the year judging was held and your certificate of the performance test was received. Though 2024 looks to be the most feasible with all the above criteria. 
‘without the class. 2024 judging of the 5 blades is still a possibility as you can do the performance test in 2023. That again will depend on when judging is held in 2024.  
‘this is just how I understand the rules as it pertains to your question and others have basically said the same. I was just saying it another way in case it helped with clarity. 
‘sorry if I’ve added any confusion as that was not my intent

Posted : 15/06/2021 9:01 pm
Share: