Practice Performanc...

Notifications
Clear all

Practice Performance Blade

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Just thought I would jump in and post some pictures. Practicing the process with some salvaged leaf springs before I break out the factory steel. I've already successfully made a couple others and this will be the last one before making the actual specimen. I will do some grinding and filing/drilling tomorrow before heat treat. Final picture is still in the as forged state no stock reduction yet.

Attached files

Posted : 21/05/2018 11:18 pm
Lin Rhea

James, It's good to practice and get the kinks worked out of your process. I look forward to seeing the results. I would suggest you re read the rules though. If I'm not mistaken, the JS performance knife must be a full tang knife.

I will edit this to clarify: I went back and looked at the rules myself and it says "ANY handle configuration is acceptable". So your on track. No problem. This might be one of the recent revisions of the rules. I've slept since then.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 22/05/2018 8:15 am
New Member Guest

Yes, I will reread the rules and take some notes before the final build. I was also understanding that the blade length should be approximately but not greater than 10". Blade measured from tip to front of handle, guard or bolster. So I take it the choil area counts as blade length with this wording. Maximum width 2 inches but it didn't state a minimum. Overall length not to exceed 15".

I was chasing the bevel up the blade but it was getting too wide so had to stop only 1/3 the way up. This is thicker stock than I intend to use for the final blade. It's what I had around.

Posted : 22/05/2018 9:29 am

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to seeing pics and stories throughout your journey!

Posted : 22/05/2018 12:50 pm
New Member Guest

Gave the blade an overnight in a vinegar bath to help remove some of the scale.

Then I picked up a broken piece of paver to scrub the remaining scale off if it was loose. 2x72 Belts are expensive if you didn't already know that. Final picture is I cleaned up the profile.

I actually got a lot further than this but didn't take any pictures as I started forging the actual test blade now. It is having it's own vinegar bath tonight.

Attached files

Posted : 24/05/2018 12:34 am
New Member Guest

Grinding is done on them both, hardened and now in the oven tempering. Final sanding, handles and sharpening on tap for tomorrow.

Attached files

Posted : 24/05/2018 11:49 pm
New Member Guest

Great looking knife! have you made the test knife yet? if so how did it perform?

Posted : 27/06/2018 5:58 pm
New Member Guest

Hi Devan,

Well, I didn't have electric to my shop yet and was running the grinder off a generator. The generator broke down after I had hardened the blades and was unable to do the final grinding on them. This happened right before I was due to leave for Bladeshow (I drove from Idaho to Atlanta and back). I am home now but I am building a bath house while waiting on the electrician to come and run the power to my shop.

So hopefully in another week or two I can get back to knifemaking.

Posted : 27/06/2018 10:32 pm
New Member Guest

sorry to hear about the generator issue, hopefully they can get you up and running soon! the leaf spring knives are looking awesome!

Posted : 28/06/2018 6:05 pm
Share: