Touchmark Registery

Notifications
Clear all

Touchmark Registery

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

In short, is there one really?

I searched some but Angelfire has like 10 listed and nothing in the last 20 years it feels, then another site has 4 or 5...

Does ABS keep a registry of their marks so down the road its saved?

I have one and it has changed over the years a little and went from a rough version to a professionally carved one that is clean but still kept the same premise.

Would one just do a Trademark reg or does one not really worry about it anymore?

Posted : 23/12/2019 11:41 am
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Mark zalesky has started to put one together on the knife magazine site. In the vault section there is a list of makers including there marks going back to the 1800 it is not complete but it is the biggest collection I have seen

Posted : 23/12/2019 2:16 pm
Karl B. Andersen

People's marks change so frequently that it would be a night mare to keep track of. If not simply for the reason of the makers themselves contributing.

Whatever you do - use your name. At least that way it may eventually lead back to you if someone is searching.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 23/12/2019 2:56 pm

I agree with Karl completely - use your name on your mark or each of your marks.

You might come up with a really interesting touch-mark, but what good does it do for you if folks can't find you when they see your mark on something they like?

Posted : 23/12/2019 4:36 pm
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks to all three of you, I appreciate your time in replying and apologize for the delay in my response.

I will see what I can do for putting my name in my mark, but for now I will keep using my R♥️ that I have made.

Ill look at the one registry and see what it takes, never hurts to have more than one location to make a note in.

Once again, thanks everyone for the advise.

Posted : 02/01/2020 9:06 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Whatever you do - use your name

100% agree! I cannot count the number of times over the years, that people have walked into my shop, with a knife that has some strange initials on it, or an obscure "logo" and ask me.... "Do you know who made this....or can you help me find the maker....I wanna buy another knife from them" Uh... Sorry, no way in the world that anybody can find you if you're using only initials or some weird logo that means nothing to anybody...other then you. Something else to consider/think about.... if a person cannot do a quick google search with the mark/information on a knife, and find the maker, they will simply move onto another knifemaker, who is easier to find.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 02/01/2020 10:36 am
Share: