Notifications
Clear all

Video - 2016 Auction Knife By Bill Moran, American Bladesmith Society Founder

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Video - 2016 TOMB Auction Knife by Bill Moran, Founder of the American Bladesmith Society

ABS YouTube Channel

The American Bladesmith Society presents a collector grade knife made by the legendary Master Smith Bill Moran to be offered at the 2016 ABS Knife Auction. Bill Moran, founder of the American Bladesmith Society, made this model M-11 knife in his shop in the 1960’s. In the video Master Smith Jay Hendrickson describes the knife and the history behind it. The knife will be available on Saturday, June 4, 2015 at 10AM in Room# 103 at the ABS Knife Auction during the 2016 Blade Show in Atlanta, GA.

To view the video on the ABS YouTube Channel, click: https://youtu.be/3netaJnGtYU

*A copy of the current financial statement of the American Bladesmith Society, Inc. is available by writing American Bladesmith Society, Inc., P.O. Box 160, Grand Rapids, Ohio 43522 or by calling (419) 832-0400. Documents and information submitted under the Maryland Solicitations Act are also available, for the cost of postage and copies, from the Maryland Secretary of State, State House, Annapolis MD 21401, (410) 974-5534.*

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 10/02/2016 12:28 am
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Additional Information from E. Jay Hendrickson, MS

When Bill Moran sold his farm and built his new shop in Middletown, Maryland, the year was 1960. Bladesmithing was in its infancy and a young Bill at that time was hammering out classic knives that were beautiful, functional and unique.

Little did we realize then the impact of that Bill’s work would have on the future of Bladesmithing.

In his first catalog (1960), Bill listed a small skinning knife shown as No. 11. It sold for $36.00, expensive for a knife in those years. Bud Branch, a retired Army Colonel who had been in the Special Forces, owned such a knife. Bud, a well known collector, passed away a few years ago and gave his No. 11 knife to TOMB (The order of the Mystic Brotherhood) a benevolent organization with a mission to promote bladesmithing and to help makers that fall into rough times. TOMB will be auctioning Bud’s No. 11 at the Blade Show on Saturday June 4, 2016 during the annual ABS Auction which is set for 10:00 a.m.

About the knife….Bill likely would call it an upswept skinner. The guard and end cap are brass. The blade is W2 tool steel which has been stamped with his Lime Kiln logo. It is handled with a beautiful piece of curly maple. The tang extends through the handle and is threaded on the end and capped with a brass nut. The sheath was lost along the way so I made one in the likes of what Bill would have produced. The leather is from Bill’s Shop and is the same as what the original would have been. Because it is stamped Lime Kiln, it can be dated to approximately the mid 1960’s. Looking at this knife up close, one would gasp at how beautiful it is. It is as if it was made yesterday. Thanks to Bud, it is in perfect condition.

I hope that all serious knife collectors make it a point to review this outstanding Bill Moran Knife in Atlanta and give serious thought to placing a bid on this historical piece.

By: E. Jay Hendrickson, Master Smith

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 01/03/2016 7:40 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

I want to tell you more about the man behind the generous donation of the TOMB knife made by William F Moran, Jr.

ABS Board member and Journeyman Smith Bob Calvert wrote a tribute to Phillip R."Bud" Branch and wants us to know more him, his distinguished life, and his dedication to the knife making community. This is about who Bud Branch was and what this knife means.

Phillip R. "Bud" Branch was a Lt. Col. in the U.S. Army and a veteran of the Viet Nam war. Bud earned 3 college degrees in English, history, and accounting respectively.

He was an avid knife collector and generously purchased many knives just to help a new knife maker get started. Participating as a bidder, Bud single handedly bailed out many knife auctions on behalf of the American Bladesmith Society and TOMB. He would run up the bidding price upon himself at a knife auction because he did not feel that the item was bid high enough.

Bud Branch had a tremendous desire to see the forged blade survive and prosper. He was inducted into TOMB (The Order of the Mystic Brotherhood) just before his death because of his many years of support and generosity.

Before Bud died he requested that a part of his knife collection be given to TOMB to start a scholarship to fund for advanced studies for knife makers that needed financial assistance for school tuition and travel expenses.

This Bill Moran knife from the Bud Branch knife collection at this year's ABS Knife Auction at the 2016 Blade Show represents not only a chance to own a rare and wonderful knife but also an opportunity to help others at the same time.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 22/03/2016 5:53 pm
Robert Wilson
New Member Associate/Collector (5yr)

This will be my 2nd Atlanta Blade show in as many years. It was such a privilege last year to be the ABS Auctioneer for the show. It is my privilege again to be this years Auctioneer. One thing that makes this years auction even more special for me is that I will have the honor of Auctioning one of Bill's knives. As the new President of The William F. Moran Jr., Museum & Foundation, Inc. it is nothing short of an honor that I am able to serve the ABS and The Moran Foundation.

Robert A. Wilson

President The William F. Moran Jr., Museum & Foundation, Inc.

Posted : 02/05/2016 10:47 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Blade Magazine cover

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 25/05/2016 7:57 pm
Share: