How To Make Plunge ...

Notifications
Clear all

How To Make Plunge Lines

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Does anyone have a tutorial or steps to making quality plunge lines. I freehand mines with keyhole files and they never come out like I'd like them to. Any information on this would be greatly valued.

Posted : 28/06/2011 6:42 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Isaac

Assuming you intend to continue using a file, try using a file guide ( like the ones used to file square shoulders on the ricasso for the guard to butt up against) and clamp it on the blade where you want the plunge lines to be. The guide will keep your lines parallel to each other.

Brian

Posted : 28/06/2011 7:51 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, I actually didn't think about that. In the spirit of furthering my knowledge, are there any other methods?

Posted : 28/06/2011 8:41 pm

I watched a tutorial video (on knifedogs.com I think) where the stock removal guy showed doing his with a sharpy and a chain saw file, no file guide. Pretty interesting and turned out pretty good. I just tried doing plunge lines for the first time on a friend's grinder (flat platen) and it turned out pretty well. My previous attempts with my files left my head hurting a bit from frustration... Holler if you want and I can try and look up that video and post it.

Jeremy

Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

Posted : 28/06/2011 8:48 pm
Topic starter

Jeremy

After reading your post I think I was able to find that video on Youtube. It was quite informative, thank you for the info. Hopefully, with the knowledge I'm slowly acquiring, I'll be able to make a few knives in the near future that will be forum worthy.

Posted : 29/06/2011 5:01 am
Share: