Slip Joint Project ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Sticky] Slip Joint Project Knife

44 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
11.9 K Views
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

The finished knife.

Posted : 12/07/2016 12:24 am
Admin_DJC305

Thank you Craig for sharing your expertise in the most detailed and documented tutorial ever posted on the ABS Forum. This Topic is a valuable asset for our members who want to learn the techniques and tools involved in constructing a slip joint folder.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 12/07/2016 9:14 am
New Member Guest

That is truly beautiful Craig. I have not forgotten nor have I intended to be so long on getting this project done. Life has been crazy and complicated. It is on the to do list, unfortunately priori especially have to shift occasionally.

Chris

Posted : 13/07/2016 10:19 pm

SUPER cool knife! I really like that pattern and it looks like a great user. I really appreciate you putting this together and posting all of the helpful information.

Jeremy

Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

Posted : 13/07/2016 11:40 pm
Topic starter

I can't wait to see some finished slip joint knives.

The second knife I was working with will be a shadow pattern style. One with a washer in the pivot area rather than a bolster like Anthony asked about. The liners are thin (.040) 410 stainless and the handles are micarta. Mine happen to be black canvas.

I use a 3/8 416 rod to make the washer and a 3/8 end mill to make the counter bore. I clamp the liner and line up the pivot hole with the spindle. I use a 3/32 rod in a collet to get it centered. Clamp the handle down, change collets and add an end mill and I am ready to counter bore for the washer.

Make a deep counter bore, about ¾ the thickness of the handle material, to give some extra material to allow the handles to be rounded and shaped.

I use a lathe to part off a piece of the 416 rod to use in the counter bore. If you do not have a lathe jut cut off a piece as square as you can and sand it flat with a block described below.

Get a piece of steel and drill a 3/8 hole in it to hold the little slug you cut off the rod. Depending on how thick your block is, you may need to make a plunger of some type to push down on the slug while you are sanding it. Use this to sand the end square on your granite or glass plate.

Push this piece into the counter bore flat side down and grind the outside flush on the flat platen.

Now drill the pivot hole from the inside of the liner. Use something flat to rest the handle on and hold the washer slug in place while drilling, like a block of wood.

Shape the handle but be careful as the little slug or washer will turn. You can epoxy it in place just be careful of the heat when grinding.

Here is the second knife finished.

Posted : 20/08/2016 9:31 pm

Great thread, I was wondering if the pattern was still available?

Posted : 13/08/2017 10:18 am
Topic starter

Pattern.pdf

The closed length is 3 5/8.

Posted : 13/08/2017 1:32 pm

Thanks Craig.

Posted : 13/08/2017 2:44 pm
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith

What a great tutorial!

Posted : 15/10/2017 8:04 am
New Member Guest

Excellent tutorial friend, I want to venture into slipjoint, already cleared the ideas here.

Thank you !

Carlos Arruda

Posted : 05/05/2018 12:18 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Outstanding tutorial Craig.

Posted : 11/10/2020 2:08 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Zane.

Posted : 11/10/2020 2:24 pm
Karl B. Andersen

That is an EXCELLENT! tutorial. Thanks for putting this here.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 12/10/2020 7:25 am
Topic starter

Thank you Karl, I hope it is helpful to anyone wanting to make slip joint knives.

Posted : 12/10/2020 8:09 am
Page 3 / 3
Share: