Forging A Large Bow...

Notifications
Clear all

Forging A Large Bowie

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

That is a fantastic knife Mr. Rhea! I like how you incorporated polished steel and forge finished steel on the guard and buttcap.

I might be coming in a little late on this Mr. Rhea, but if I am understanding this correctly,

once I grind off all the scale from forging is there still decarb? I generally try not to forge

above 2100F and finish around 1600F for 1084 (It usually takes me about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to forge a knife) and then grind off about 3/32 to 1/8 in. past the scale at the cutting edge.

Is this sufficient?

Wesley

Posted : 12/06/2014 8:41 am
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Wes, It sound like plenty but the way to tell for sure is to check your edge with a file after the quench. It's after the quench when any decarb will be a problem. Just file into it a little and see if you hit hard steel. Most of the time, I cant even discern any decarb. The file skates right off.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 12/06/2014 9:38 am
New Member Guest

Thanks Mr. Rhea, I assume you mean a new file?

Posted : 12/06/2014 9:55 am
Lin Rhea
Topic starter

Yes, it needs to be a reliable one anyway. One a few occasions I have had it cut easily, then reach the hard stuff and that indicates I had some decarb. Just enough to cause a bit of confusion. It's rare any more.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 12/06/2014 10:02 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Thank you Lin for posting this build. Fantastic knife, love the forge work on the guard and its finish. We are just getting into winter here and looking forward to firing up the forge and trying some new techniques. Thanks again.

Cheers Keith

Posted : 21/06/2014 5:07 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share: