Notifications
Clear all

Any Smiths Have Inguinal Hernia Surgery?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Reactions
Topic starter

I couldnt find a "nonsense" section, so i figure this forum works, it is related to smithing activity. 2 weeks ago i had a laprascopic inguinal hernia repair on my right side. I was told today two more weeks of rest, walking only. But yhe doc didn't seem to be able to answer the question about swinging a hammer. After all, the hammer i use only weighs 3.5lbs. Does anyone have experience with this? Im 42 years old, and run a personal training business full time in addition to smithing part time. So im in good shape, aside from a damn hernia. Just curious as to how some of you were swinging a hammer after surgery?

Posted : 26/07/2019 6:03 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

I had a double repair about three years ago, if you had the mesh it is all about letting that mesh heal its way into the tissue. Until it is set any huge movement could result in it shifting, and if it moves too far they will have to go in all over again. Mine was done the old fashioned way with a real big incision rather than a scope, so it took longer to heal but that was not the main concern. If I remember, I was back to normal activity within two weeks but I was very mindful of the mesh for a month or more. I didn't do any jumping or twisting and my martial arts workouts were very low key for at least a month, despite having little pain.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 26/07/2019 8:46 pm
Topic starter

Thanks for the response and sharing your experience Kevin. It's actually a big help. And unfortunately, more information than ive been given by the doc office. They always have a PA calling me and she doesnt know anything. Thank you.

Posted : 26/07/2019 8:57 pm
Share: