Notifications
Clear all

Basic Shop Equipment

27 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Joshua States

|quoted:

The KMG story is long and boring. When the funds are available I'll be upgrading to TW-90.

Hey, it's your money, spend it however you like. When you are ready to sell that KMG, let me know. I might want to set up a permanent surface grinder with it.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 04/04/2018 4:29 pm
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Surface plate, good quality height gauge, vernier calipers and a good quality micrometer

Posted : 04/04/2018 6:15 pm

|quoted:

Hey, it's your money, spend it however you like. When you are ready to sell that KMG, let me know. I might want to set up a permanent surface grinder with it.

Thanks for showing interest in the grinder, but I'm going to keep it. You can't have to many right?

Posted : 04/04/2018 6:58 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

Thanks for showing interest in the grinder, but I'm going to keep it. You can't have to many right?

Well, that brings up another question. Tim Hancock had four or five 2x72 grinders set up and two, 9" disc grinders, plus a horizontal small wheel grinder.

How many grinders do you really need?

I have the KMG and a 9" VSR disc. I bought the Weurtz surface grinding attachment for the KMG, but before I had that, I used a 6x48 belt sander for a surface grinder and got by pretty well. I still use that 6x48 for wooden sheath making and some other woodworking applications. I even did a handle making demo (partial tangs and frame handles) for my local blacksmith's group and only used the 6x48 with its internal 9" disc (single direction only) for the entire demo.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 04/04/2018 7:51 pm

I'm currently working on an anvil that I borrowed from my dad while keeping my eyes open for a good used one. I'm about to throw in the towel and buy me a new Nimba as I'm tired of looking at junkers that are way overpriced.

It seems that I have the basic items and not much more at this point, so here's a few cheap and very basic tools that I seem to be using on every knife:

[list]

• The notes from my bladesmithing class are more valuable than all of the tools in my shop. I found that I re-prioritized my wish list of "must have" tools after hanging out in a Mastersmith's shop for a week which has saved me mucho dinero.
  • I seem to use a handle broach on about everything I've been building lately. For a year or so I've been using a few sawzall blades taped together and it worked fine although I already much prefer the J. Perry broach I recently acquired.
  • Oxygen/Acetylene set up
  • lots of different hand sanding "sticks" (I prefer Caffrey's)
  • Quench tanks containing Canola and Parks 50 Quench oil
  • Ferric Tanks made from ABS
  • Band-aids

• Posted : 04/04/2018 9:48 pm
    Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Surface plate, good quality height gauge, vernier calipers and a good quality micrometer.

Great choices!

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 05/04/2018 8:09 am
    Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

How many grinders do you really need?

I have two now and could use another one. I'd also like at least one more disc sander.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 05/04/2018 8:11 am

What height gauge are you guys using? I'm seeing them from $35 to $2000.

Posted : 05/04/2018 8:10 pm
    Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I use a Measumax brand with a carbide scribe that sell for around $550AUD not sure what brands are available in the US?

Posted : 06/04/2018 2:09 am
    Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith

So Karl said it right, this is a great venue to spend money. It's the new shiny car syndrome, we all want one.

Basic equipment?, sure a forge and anvil but before you spend the $$ go take a course at a an ABS approved school. You'll get to try all the tools along with great advice on what works and doesn't. Your best tools are the ones you were born with! Buy the gear to protect your paws and eyes, you can do what you will with what's inside your head but a good hat will help when that variable speed grinder throws a belt at you! Also, buy a good respirator, oxygen is your friend but you don't want to lug a bottle at your side forever. buy the best you can afford but make sure you can use it. We all want a Ferrari but I can't fit in one anymore so make sure you don't go into debt because the last I knew Drool rusts things that aren't being used or cared for.

Posted : 17/05/2018 2:59 pm
    William Milton
    Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

What is everyone's opinion on the Ameriblade grinder?

https://www.ameribrade.com/packages/mastery

Erik Milton

Posted : 03/06/2023 8:41 am
    William Milton
    Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Thank you Michael

Erik Milton

Posted : 07/06/2023 12:57 pm
    Page 2 / 2
    Share: