Notifications
Clear all

Dr. Jim Lucie, The Abs Has Lost A Very Special Person

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

It is my most unpleasant duty to announce to our forum family that yesterday the ABS lost a very special member, supporter and friend. Yesterday, I was notified by his daughter Stephanie, that her father, Dr. Jim Lucie has passed away. Most of you know Dr. Lucie from his work with William Scagel style knives, as well as the book he wrote about Scagel. Jim was the worlds foremost expert on Scagel knives and had been William Scagel’s personal physician, before becoming a knifemaker himself. Jim was a strong supporter of the ABS and when he retired from knifemaking, he donated his equipment to the ABS Schools, many may not know that the official name for the ABS classes taught at the SOFA facility on Troy OH is the “James Lucie” ABS School due to so much of the equipment that made it possible.

I had the privilege of calling Jim a very good friend, and spent many hours sharing a good wine with him while studying original Scagel knives in Jim’s collection. Often late in the evening, after hours of laughing, debating and just chatting, Jim would declare that we had solved all the worlds problems so we could call it a day. It was very difficult to tell my wife and daughter, as they both cared for Jim very much. But, above all, our hearts go out to Jim’s four daughters and their families.

There is a nice obituary for Jim at https://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/muskegon/obituary.aspx?n=james-lucie&pid=195583034 , where there is a link to www.forevermissed.com/drjimlucie/about if you wish to share a story or kind word.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 04/03/2020 10:15 am
Karl B. Andersen

Thank you for that, Kevin. May he rest in peace.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 04/03/2020 8:15 pm
Lin Rhea

At the last Blade show I attended Dr Lucie stopped me in the isle and we had a great chat. I was impressed by his humble bearing and flattered he would spend the time to visit with me at such an obviously busy event. It's these chance meetings that are often remembered and that affect us so much. I am glad he was far seeing enough to record a lot of his knowledge and his experiences.

Kevin, I am so sorry for this loss to your family. My condolences to you and to Dr Lucie's family are extended.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 05/03/2020 9:44 am

I met Dr.Lucie at Batson Blade Symposium in the early 2000's, He was never to busy to talk to you or share his love of knifes and to talk about William Scagel. He gave me some great tips for final finish on knife blades, that I still use to this day! He will be missed!!!

Posted : 05/03/2020 2:18 pm

Sorry to hear this - I met Dr Lucie at the ICCE show in Kansas City and he was great to talk to. His book is one of my favorites in my library.

Posted : 09/03/2020 8:24 am
Share: