Notifications
Clear all

The Ongoing Mission Of The Abs

51 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Happy New Year! I love the idea of having a local chapter. One idea that might support this is listing the Apprentice Smiths on the ABS website. I think that this would promote community. If nothing else, it lets guys like me know if there are any other aspiring bladesmiths in the area. Maybe there's a good reason not to, but just a thought. It might be worth reaching out to Master Smiths across the organization and see if they would be willing to do a one day demo out of their home shop and cap it at 5-10 people. If you're turning people away you know there is a demand.

Posted : 02/01/2020 9:14 pm
DERRICK WULF
Estimable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Twenty five years ago, the biggest public platforms for handmade knives were print media and knife shows. Today, they are social media and TV shows. This is how large audiences are reached today.

Many of the biggest names in bladesmithing today aren't ABS members, they're folks who got on TV and/or had a knack for internet and social media marketing. They have tens or even hundreds of thousands of followers, subscribers and fans. Some even have corporate sponsors. They are the model that much of today's knifemaking youth aspires to.

I believe strongly in the ABS' mission, but in order to educate and promote the forged blade, the ABS needs to reach the same audience that the TV and social media superstars reach.

A good first step would be to get a media savvy ABS member to run some social media accounts for the ABS. Like it or not, the ABS needs to have a presence on these platforms in order to get its message out there. Not to do so risks becoming invisible to many of today's aspiring knifemakers.

/

Regarding regional chapters, as much as I like the idea, I would caution against doing so haphazardly, lest we end up with overlaps or large gaps in coverage / representation. A bit of planning on this front would go a long way. Designating an ABS board member as chapter coordinator and liason would also be well worth considering.

Happy to help in any way that I am able.

Posted : 08/01/2020 6:18 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hey Derrick. I agree completely on the social media aspect. To that end there will be an ABS facebook page in the near future. The admin team is already in place and it should be up in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. These days social media is the best way to reach the largest number of people. So it is time to get with the program.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 08/01/2020 9:24 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

Happy New Year! I love the idea of having a local chapter. One idea that might support this is listing the Apprentice Smiths on the ABS website. I think that this would promote community. If nothing else, it lets guys like me know if there are any other aspiring bladesmiths in the area. Maybe there's a good reason not to, but just a thought. It might be worth reaching out to Master Smiths across the organization and see if they would be willing to do a one day demo out of their home shop and cap it at 5-10 people. If you're turning people away you know there is a demand.

Th inclusion of Apprentice smiths on the page has been a long wished for thing by many. Unfortunately the logistics make it all but impossible. We get a steady turn over of Apprentice level members, we lose almost as many as we gain each year. The reason rated smiths have a listing is really not a status or elitist thing as much as it has to do with the fact that members with a stamp rating have an investment in coming back each year and thus this stabilizes their numbers. We would have to hire somebody full time to keep an Apprentice list current. Plus, listing the rated smiths is a way that the ABS can assure that these guys are capable of a certain level of knifemaking, that means something to a lot of collectors and the public. We have no way to know, and cannot speak to the level of an Apprentice member. They could have made one knife in their life, or they could have made more than most Journeyman, but all we know is that they paid their dues to be members.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 09/01/2020 3:02 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hey Derrick. I agree completely on the social media aspect. To that end there will be an ABS facebook page in the near future. The admin team is already in place and it should be up in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed. These days social media is the best way to reach the largest number of people. So it is time to get with the program.

Brion

Brion, that is good to hear. I know it was briefly discussed, but it has been discussed a few times in the past. Please keep me apprised of developments as they occur.

There has always been two major snags in getting an ABS social media presence. The first, and most intimidating is finding competent people to manage it. Social media happens almost in real time, and those who get the most out of it practically live on it 24/7. It is easy to get people to commit that level of time for their own business but it is huge request to get them to do it for another entity. When you do find somebody who can, and will, they also have to be trustworthy to represent the ABS to the public. Which brings us to the second huge snag...

Social media does not have a very good reputation for bringing out the most professional behavior in people. Most of us in the ABS are pretty old school about this, in a good way, in that we believe in behaving like gentlepeople like we would when face to face. The internet culture is still a little new to some of us and we can't even get many MS to visit this forum because of the abhorrent behavior they have seen from people on other internet sites. These are professional master bladesmiths, and they really can't be expected take away from shop time to be subjected to what happens on a lot of the internet. Now fast forward to the present- if discussion forums had a reputation for attracting trolls, social media is seen as a troll factory on steroids. The ABS is very protective of our professional image and I support that. In fact, I would say that I am even more protective of that image, but I also see the reality of needing to reach the public. I will go to bat for any professional approach to bringing us to the public on social platforms, it has to happen, but it has to be done with dignity as well. If history has shown us anything it is that the hottest social media platforms of the day will eventually be gone and replaced, I want the ABS to still be there, going strong, when they are gone.

Posted : 09/01/2020 3:29 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

I am very disheartened to hear we have such a high turnover in AP smiths. I wonder why that is, I am sure some join in whirl wind of falling in love of the craft, that cools after the newlywed phase is over and they drop their membership. Nothing to be done there, but why so high a turn over? Is it that we are not offering enough? do the ones leaving not see any benefit to staying a member of the group? Is it that they are annoyed or angered over something we have done? are we failing them in some way? Has anyone asked the departing smiths why they did not keep up membership? have we asked our selves why should they join, and continue to support the group? what do those smiths not looking to test get out of our group?

I wonder if a lot of that turn over is we have set our selves up mostly to serve those looking to test. This is fine in and of its self. But testing for JS or MS is not for every one nor should it be every ones goal.

JD Smith once told me something about how knifemaking is like learning to play music. Some want to play on the big stage, they will practice and bring dedication to bring their skill to the highest level. others only want to be about to play well enough to sing around a camp fire. knifemaking is the same some want to be mastersmiths and others just want to make a knife, and there is Nothing wrong with that, there is room for every one that has a love for the craft, in fact most makers probably fall somewhere in the middle. I think that is a pretty profound observation. We are all smiths what ever the level we all have a love for the craft. Yes we should show and encourage high standards, but we need to serve those who only want to play around the fire as well as those who dream of the big stage.

I think our hammer-ins do a good job of this, I would love to see us build on this, bring that same sort of "content" to the membership at large. The magazine could be a conduit for this , the internet should be part of it and I am sure there are other things and ways to fill this need that I am not thinking of. in fact that seems to be what this thread is all about.

I think even little things like how we handle dues can make a big difference, I spoke to one person recently that had just joined. They joined in early Nov they paid their money and the first thing they got from the ABS was a bill for the next years dues. That annoyed them enough they were questioning if they wanted to continue with membership. why are first year dues not prorated? I remember this happening with my business partners Jamie and peter when they joined a well, and they felt the same so it is not isolated.

MP

Posted : 10/01/2020 8:25 am
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

One thing that I always thought would be a great goal would be to find ways to make the ABS such an asset to the knifemaking community that we could attract a large number of people who had no interest in the Journeyman or Master ratings program...

Your concern is exactly why that has always been one of my desired goals, that is what I was referring to in the quote above. However, it is not because I believe a regular turnover in new members is unique to the ABS or spells our doom in any way. In fact, I don’t think it is extraordinary, preventable or necessarily always a bad thing. Any group will have a large number of people joining on a whim and leaving just as easily. People learn that there is such a thing as bladesmithing, in the 21st century, and say “Wow, I gotta do that!”. Two minutes after they discover bladesmithing with Google, they find the ABS with Google, click a button and “poof” they are a member of the American Bladesmith Society. One week later, they find powered paragliders with Google and start clicking again. At the end of the year, and twelve new hobbies later, they can’t be distracted from the rigors of raising Angora bunnies (the one click that stuck for longer than a week) to answer the renewal notice from the ABS. This is the way of the world, and it doesn’t alarm me all that much.

But of those who join there will be a core of very serious smiths with a lot pf potential. I would like to find ways to make the ABS invaluable to them, regardless of how long they wish maintain an Apprentice level membership.

Posted : 10/01/2020 2:20 pm

Happy New Year Everyone.

Kevin, I have been reading along on this topic and want to jump in. I want to share my opinion as a newer Apprentice Smith. As mention previously by Matthew, I also liken knife making to playing music. How many instruments get purchased every year, to get played a handful of times (if that)and get banished to a closet or basement? That level of dedication or lack there of is more evident now than ever. With that said, How many times has anyone on here signed in online with a purpose, and got pulled into an article on your home page? There is so much information (distractions) being thrown around that you have to possess a real desire and dedication toward a goal if you ever plan to even start down the path toward achieving it. So in a way, the ebb and flow of AP smiths makes sense.

I personally wouldn't waste your effort on that crowd. As Lin mentioned, the ABS, thru its mission statement concerning education, and the testing standard it upholds,represents the Highest tier of the Knifemaking Craft. You cant win them all over and you wouldn't want to at any rate. It would be like dumping an extra can of water in your Campbells Soup. There will always a percentage in any group willing to dedicate the time and effort to fight their way to the top. Those are the types that currently make up your organization and those are the types you need to attract to carry your mission into the future.

The amount of time and effort that you and your fellow Journey/Master smiths invest into this craft is and should be greatly appreciated. My first Hammer-in was the Troy Ohio event last year. Any new member, such as myself had an opportunity to absolutely gorge ourselves on information shared by you Gentlemen. If we use the blade grinding class as an example, what good would a couple hour class do for any of us, if we are not willing to invest in countless hours of practice afterwards?

My advise to you and the rank and file that makes up the core of this organization...stay the course. You represent an elite level of knifemaking craftsman with in the ABS's ranked levels, and in a world where everyone gets a trophy, your high standards are like a breath of fresh air.

Posted : 12/01/2020 2:59 am
DERRICK WULF

|quoted:
Most of us in the ABS are pretty old school about this, in a good way, in that we believe in behaving like gentlepeople like we would when face to face. The internet culture is still a little new to some of us and we can't even get many MS to visit this forum because of the abhorrent behavior they have seen from people on other internet sites. These are professional master bladesmiths, and they really can't be expected take away from shop time to be subjected to what happens on a lot of the internet.

Are the people participating in this discussion "trolls on the internet"? Am I?

The unfortunate truth is that trolls can be found in virtually any public setting. I've seen plenty of obnoxious and disrespectful behavior at knife shows, hammer-ins and banquet dinners as well. I'm sure you have too. But as ambassadors of our craft we can't just avoid all public communications venues out of a fear of being trolled. Honestly we'll find it awfully hard to further the ABS mission by hiding from the public, let alone our own membership. We need to view the broader knife community - especially its newer members - not as a threat, but as an opportunity. An opportunity to engage, to educate, to share and to grow - together.

|quoted:
Now fast forward to the present- if discussion forums had a reputation for attracting trolls, social media is seen as a troll factory on steroids. The ABS is very protective of our professional image and I support that. In fact, I would say that I am even more protective of that image, but I also see the reality of needing to reach the public. I will go to bat for any professional approach to bringing us to the public on social platforms, it has to happen, but it has to be done with dignity as well. If history has shown us anything it is that the hottest social media platforms of the day will eventually be gone and replaced, I want the ABS to still be there, going strong, when they are gone.

Based on my own experiences, Instagram is perhaps the premier social media platform for these purposes. Its overall construct as an image-sharing site takes away the emphasis on comments and discussion, and the page owner or administrator maintains full editorial control, meaning that you can delete or simply ignore any or all of the comments posted on your feed. It also doesn't require 24/7 attention - just an occasional photo or announcement.

The ICCE show has an instagram page, as does the Blade Show, Blade Magazine, Knives Illustrated, the CKCA, and countless other professional organizations and non-profits. They all agree that it's a highly effective and relatively safe means for reaching the public, and many would probably argue that it's far better than facebook in this regard as well. Some would even argue that a social media presence is necessary to maintaining a professional reputation in the digital age. Those who choose instead to remain hidden from public view risk being perceived as outdated, irrelevant, or professionally negligent.

I strongly believe that the ABS would benefit from building out an Instagram presence. It would go quite far in getting the ABS message out to the public and promoting the mission as outlined above.

Posted : 12/01/2020 4:35 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

Are the people participating in this discussion "trolls on the internet"? Am I?...

No, but then this forum is a very rare exception in how there is zero tolerance for unprofessional behavior. Which, by the way will also get you criticisms of censorship, so you really can’t win. Trust me that I know of what I speak here, I was active on so many of the forums out there and have left most of them that are not as professional as this one. I can’t tell you the number of times I have seen great craftsman, from whom participants could have learned a lot, totally disrespected to the point that their first or second visit were their last.

I’m sorry to disagree Derrick but if you don’t think that the internet can’t bring out the worst in people much more than real face to face interactions, everything I have ever seen regarding that issue tells me that I have to totally disagree, and I would have to ask if there is another internet that I, or anybody I know, is not aware of. There is a tavern near my home that is known for its rough atmosphere, and frequent visits by police, my choosing not to go there is not a matter of hiding from the public, it is just good sense for anybody who is not into that scene and wants to maintain a respectable reputation.

I am always quick to point to this forum as a shining exception. It is almost the exact opposite of the problematic formats you see elsewhere, where you will often have self-proclaimed experts doling out horrible advice and attacking each other with the only credentials being their post count. Here, not only do we keep it professional, but you have real life credentials right next to the poster’s name. Where else can you go and get direct answers from a smith, using his own real name, with a certification to back it up? And yet, let’s face it, this forum is a woefully under-utilized resource, with a slower hit count than the free for all sites out there. Our masters certainly could step up their participation, but so could every member, we can’t answer questions that are not asked.

But then, of course I guess I am also not an example of what we are discussing, because I am as active as my schedule will allow, here and at sites where I feel I can make a difference. Instagram is a powerful platform that is a shame to miss out on, but I can genuinely see one good reason why the ABS does not have an Instagram page, it is the same reason that we are limited on so many possibilities- manpower. We need somebody willing to run it, but it gets much trickier when you have to be sure that this person can also represent and speak for the ABS in a way that everybody is good with. Steve Dunn currently has the most consent from the group to speak for the ABS and, trust me, even as it is, you don’t want his job.

Posted : 12/01/2020 6:02 pm
DERRICK WULF

Kevin you are absolutely correct in that online anonymity can bring out the worst in people. I've certainly seen it too. I just find it mystifying that almost the entire ABS board - you being the one notable exception - is so hostile towards online communications. So hostile, in fact, that they flat out refuse to visit their own forum! This is mind-boggling to me.

Whether they like it or not, the internet and social media are the way in which human beings communicate and interact with one another across great distances today. I do appreciate the gentlemanly conduct that we expect from one another when speaking face to face, but we can't always get every single person in a room together at the same time. Most certainly not with a large international organization such as the ABS.

My point here is simple: if you want to further the ABS mission of educating the public about the forged blade, then you first need to be able to reach the public.

Posted : 12/01/2020 7:51 pm
Matthew Parkinson
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Re-instagram this is a fairly silly argument, there are enough award knife photos, passing JS and MS set knife photos around, not to mention yearly donation knives (TOMB knife , MS of the year JS of the year etc) and event fliers to fill a Instagram feed for a long time. Im pretty sure any of those photos could be had for the asking.

As far as i can tell it is not entirely about presenting or preserving how the ABS is seen, truthfully I don't know what the resistance is other than fear of something that is new.

If it's just some one to run it why not ask for volunteers or form a committee, and make it happen? Create guide line as far as what can be posted and move forward.

Twitter can be feed from instagram, as can facebook. With one post cross linked to multiple platforms, thousands of people can be reached this is The power and potential of The internet. Everyone that follows will all have oped in because they have interest in what we do as well as a way to reach a huge percentage of our own membership. I have hard time seeing downside to hang of that.

MP

Posted : 12/01/2020 9:18 pm
BrionTomberlin

I have been following this thread and agree with the social media presence. There will be one, at least on facebook for now. We will see about instagram. The facebook page should be up and running by the end of the month. It will be mainly for posting events, hammer in info, awards, ABS school class schedules, etc. Comments will be turned off and there are three administrators. People will be able to like and follow, but no members. Our chairman Steve Dunn felt that we should start moving forward with the technology available and asked myself as a board member and two others to get this started. I will keep everyone updated as we go along.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 12/01/2020 10:27 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

Re-instagram this is a fairly silly argument, there are enough award knife photos, passing JS and MS set knife photos around, not to mention yearly donation knives (TOMB knife , MS of the year JS of the year etc) and event fliers to fill a Instagram feed for a long time. Im pretty sure any of those photos could be had for the asking.

As far as i can tell it is not entirely about presenting or preserving how the ABS is seen, truthfully I don't know what the resistance is other than fear of something that is new.

If it's just some one to run it why not ask for volunteers or form a committee, and make it happen? Create guide line as far as what can be posted and move forward.

Twitter can be feed from instagram, as can facebook. With one post cross linked to multiple platforms, thousands of people can be reached this is The power and potential of The internet. Everyone that follows will all have oped in because they have interest in what we do as well as a way to reach a huge percentage of our own membership. I have hard time seeing downside to hang of that.

MP

Done! I say the ABS should have an Instagram account. There’s one, now you only need fourteen more votes, you can find them here:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=pages&id=151 all some of the finest people I have met, but will have to be mostly on the same page as us.

Now who is going to run it?

I am not experienced with Instagram so bring me up to speed here, about how many times per week should an Instagram feed be updated in order to be effective? Once we establish that, we can then determine how many more hours our Instagram person will need to devote to shaking the bushes, sending e-mails and begging for those photos. I suspect they will get as flooded with volunteered images about as heavily as this forum gets, or the YouTube channel gets videos submitted, or the Journal gets material submitted, or the e-mail newsletter etc…

Don’t get me wrong I am not against the idea at all, quite the contrary- I proposed the Instagram idea about two years ago, so I am actually way ahead of you on this. But I also now have the perspective of how tough it can be to run something the size of the ABS if you don’t have a solid stream of volunteers ready to make things happen. As a board member I can always do better in serving the membership, but "membership" implies that we are part of something, which means each and every one of us can do more to make our wishes reality.

This actually brings up a whole new, and perhaps even better, question. How does the ABS inspire, engage and energize our membership to want to do what it takes to make our ideas happen? Before we find those answers, so many of our ideas will remain on the wish list.

Posted : 12/01/2020 11:08 pm

|quoted:

I am very disheartened to hear we have such a high turnover in AP smiths. I wonder why that is, I am sure some join in whirl wind of falling in love of the craft, that cools after the newlywed phase is over and they drop their membership. Nothing to be done there, but why so high a turn over? Is it that we are not offering enough? do the ones leaving not see any benefit to staying a member of the group? Is it that they are annoyed or angered over something we have done? are we failing them in some way? Has anyone asked the departing smiths why they did not keep up membership? have we asked our selves why should they join, and continue to support the group? what do those smiths not looking to test get out of our group?

I wonder if a lot of that turn over is we have set our selves up mostly to serve those looking to test. This is fine in and of its self. But testing for JS or MS is not for every one nor should it be every ones goal.

JD Smith once told me something about how knifemaking is like learning to play music. Some want to play on the big stage, they will practice and bring dedication to bring their skill to the highest level. others only want to be about to play well enough to sing around a camp fire. knifemaking is the same some want to be mastersmiths and others just want to make a knife, and there is Nothing wrong with that, there is room for every one that has a love for the craft, in fact most makers probably fall somewhere in the middle. I think that is a pretty profound observation. We are all smiths what ever the level we all have a love for the craft. Yes we should show and encourage high standards, but we need to serve those who only want to play around the fire as well as those who dream of the big stage.

I think our hammer-ins do a good job of this, I would love to see us build on this, bring that same sort of "content" to the membership at large. The magazine could be a conduit for this , the internet should be part of it and I am sure there are other things and ways to fill this need that I am not thinking of. in fact that seems to be what this thread is all about.

I think even little things like how we handle dues can make a big difference, I spoke to one person recently that had just joined. They joined in early Nov they paid their money and the first thing they got from the ABS was a bill for the next years dues. That annoyed them enough they were questioning if they wanted to continue with membership. why are first year dues not prorated? I remember this happening with my business partners Jamie and peter when they joined a well, and they felt the same so it is not isolated.

MP

Hi All,

I think this is a great topic and wanted to offer up some insight from what I have experienced so far, in my first year with the ABS. Personally I joined the ABS with the initial intent of meeting other makers to learn from and hopefully make some new friends that shared the same passion I have for creating. I wanted to piggy-back off of Matt'c comment since his kind of struck home with me a little bit, I would love to test at some point in the future but I would love to learn more. I don't make knives to make money, I just enjoy doing it. That being said I also work full time, as i assume that many of the Apprentice smiths do and have found it extremely hard attend any of the sponsored events due to the time requirements. I did make it up to the Bill Moran show this year in Maryland, that was the first time I got to meet some other members.

Over the past few months I tried reaching out to makers looking for classes but have not received any responses. I have found it pretty hard to break into the "cliques" which i can understand to an extent - as you say there is a large turn over of the weekend warriors (not unlike myself) that likely have dreams of grandeur until they find out how much work it is 😂. I guess my suggestions would be similar to some of the others some ways to meet up with others and network, I don't feel that it has to be a full fledged hammer-in maybe the ABS has smaller events that don't have a large process to get set up and approved? I have also been to a a hand full of different shows and really haven't seen any ABS presence, maybe provide a way to let members advertise for the ABS at their tables?

Sorry just kind of rambling, but I love the craft and think the ABS has a great mission which would love to see it really grow.

Posted : 13/01/2020 1:49 am
Page 2 / 4
Share: