Notifications
Clear all

The Ongoing Mission Of The Abs

51 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Thanks Kevin for starting this thread.

I raised the same issue last year about getting small groups together. I learn by watching and seeing what others do. I attended a blade smith group meeting at Riverside Machines a few years ago and it was a great meeting. Fortunately in this area there are a number of Master Smith's that provide guidance to the younger smiths. This is grass roots at its best.

I also would like to know who in my area are members of the ABS. I have recently moved to the panhandle of Florida and I do not know anyone one here. I am not sure why we could not have an excel spreadsheet of the Active ABS members created and posted on the forum. There must be some list kept so we know who are members. Publish it. We might surprise the board and get some successful group started.

As for Instagram, I try to follow all ABS members when they note it in their profile. Having an ABS presence on Instagram would be great and posting dates for Hammer ins, training etc would be a benefit to the ABS as it has a large reach. It also means the ABS membership can forward our posts onto the main ABS Instagram page and share with those following the page.

Scott

Posted : 15/01/2020 11:44 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

I just read this four times. I don't think I understand your point. Or maybe I don't understand what you are proposing? Or perhaps I misunderstood what you were proposing originally.. It seems like you are saying that we should all just invite folks over and do what we want, but not to bother the ABS with any of it? In a thread about the ongoing mission of the ABS...

That is fine in one sense, and I see it as worthwhile enough I think ill start something at my place whatever comes out of this thread , but I don't see how any of that helps the ABS fulfill it's mission in anyway.

Am I missing something here?

MP

This is my take so far, but now I may be getting confused-

The original question of the thread was how the mission of the ABS could keep its relevancy in a new era of how knifemaking is communicated or perceived. To this, the topic of engaging social media is obvious, so we had that discussion. We go the good news, from Brion’s posts, that the ABS leadership has given the go ahead for the ABS to be on Facebook soon and other platforms are being considered. We found that there is a good deal of frustration that things cannot get done as efficiently as we would like and that this leaves some of the membership feeling unheard. To that, I want folks to know that I am listening and will help wherever I can.

In the midst of this conversation, there were several members who expressed an interest in meeting up with other ABS members near them to share and possibly foster local gatherings. Those in this thread with Social Media know-how can get with Brion about facebook, Instagram, and others, but I gave my attention to this request because it is something I do have the power to help with. I can offer them space here to communicate, and am even willing to travel to their shops, on my own, if I can help. It is the easiest suggestion in this thread to accomplish. As you pointed out, you are already doing it, and you didn’t need the ABS board’s permission to do it. The very definition of sanction is literally “official permission or approval” so I guess I may be the one who doesn’t understand, if we are looking for ways to get things done right here.

We already have ABS sanctioned gatherings with Hammer-ins. I can assure you that the ABS would love to have more of them in areas we currently don’t. If a local group grows enough interest that they could sustain such an event, and can suggest a location, the ABS would move very efficiently, to make it happen. And it would be hard to ignore such a group. In the meantime, none of our members need permission or approval to get together on their own, or to use this forum to do it, permission was granted when they joined.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 15/01/2020 11:49 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

...I am not sure why we could not have an excel spreadsheet of the Active ABS members created and posted on the forum...

We do already have JS and MS listed, with their location, here:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=users&subsection=list_user&fk_group_id=5

and here:

http://www.americanbladesmith.com/index.php?section=users&subsection=list_user&fk_group_id=6

A spread sheet would make it more sortable to go state by state. But beyond that a full membership list is problematic in that privacy has to be respected and many folks would not want their information shared. More than is already on the website, and something sortable, would make it very handy for harvesting by entities who don't want to come to your shop and learn about knives.

Posted : 16/01/2020 12:09 am
Kevin R. Cashen
Topic starter

|quoted:

Thanks Kevin for starting this thread.

I raised the same issue last year about getting small groups together. I learn by watching and seeing what others do. I attended a blade smith group meeting at Riverside Machines a few years ago and it was a great meeting. Fortunately in this area there are a number of Master Smith's that provide guidance to the younger smiths. This is grass roots at its best.

I also would like to know who in my area are members of the ABS. I have recently moved to the panhandle of Florida and I do not know anyone one here. I am not sure why we could not have an excel spreadsheet of the Active ABS members created and posted on the forum. There must be some list kept so we know who are members. Publish it. We might surprise the board and get some successful group started.

As for Instagram, I try to follow all ABS members when they note it in their profile. Having an ABS presence on Instagram would be great and posting dates for Hammer ins, training etc would be a benefit to the ABS as it has a large reach. It also means the ABS membership can forward our posts onto the main ABS Instagram page and share with those following the page.

Scott

Hello Scott. After reading your request, I have obtained a full membership list, in a spreadsheet format. I cannot release any information that was not volunteered for the public, I hope everybody understands that, but I can instantly provide anybody with a list of MS and JS who live in your state, if it will help.

Posted : 16/01/2020 2:23 pm
Mark Fleming
New Member Journeyman Bladesmith

|quoted:

This is a great thread.

There is a hierarchy as far as education about knives. The ABS is tops and indeed have set the standard. There are lots of schools and lots of classes but the ABS has the testing system and the ranking system. I teach at, and will teach at, different schools but will always direct those who want to take their career to that standard, to follow the ABS testing system.

With so many "schools" of thought and so many new things on the horizon, the ABS will need to maintain it's standard foremost and above all. While doing that, I believe it should keep an open mind of acceptance of some of these things that are going to be coming into sight. For example, the Forged in Fire culture may not be my cup of tea, but I cannot deny that it has helped expose a whole new audience to the world of knives. Some of that audience will want to learn to make knives and take it to that high ABS standard. And there will be other things like that too, I hope. I hope because any related TV program, class, school, or fad (even though it doesn't suite my personal taste)will serve as a inspiration to spark that interest. The cream will rise to the top. The ABS is at the top waiting to help.

In the mean time, as individuals we can hold a high standard in our work, teach when we get an opportunity, and offer or shop and our time for ABS events. I certainly am offering my shop for an ABS event now.

While the above may not seem to address the subject directly, I believe that it is our main course to take. Stay positive, hold a high standard, and stay the course. Since the ABS is non profit and limited by factors of finance, these two things; The mission statement concerning education - and - the testing standard,... these two things set them apart from everyone else and should play to this strong point. YouTube, TV, and even the new James Black School can serve to create interest in knife making. That's work and money that the ABS doesn't have to spend to reap a percentage. The ABS is not in the marketing business yet there has been a resurgence of interest in knife making so, obviously, someone is marketing knife making.

Factors that we cannot control create relevance. Some of my Tuesday group want to learn to make knives because of their main interest of historic re-enactment. So, in as much as it relates to their main interest, they would like to make knives.

Not for a business.

Not with a rank in mind.

But they need education and some percentage of those will and have enrolled in the ABS courses.

Relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Only the individual can know that... OR not. In 2002 I only wanted to be a hobby knife maker. The ABS introduced a whole new world to me. I did not know it was relevant till I was exposed to it. Only the individual can decide that.

I hate to say it this way but some of us ABS members are still in a T-Model honking at the fast cars whizzing around us. We still get there eventually but we get left behind pretty often when getting there fast really counts.

Posted : 20/01/2020 12:22 am
Mark Fleming
New Member Journeyman Bladesmith

Lin’s message is a good one and I think hits the nail on the head. I think there are makers out there with ideas Of where they want to take there bladesmithing. Some may not be looking to start a business from it, but those who are benefit from the ABS ranking and testing. I think the ABS has a real opportunity to spread there standard of knife making far and wide by embracing every avenue possible weather it be a social media platform, school or hammer-In. The way you do that is supplying the teachers that are ABS JS or MS members

to teach on or at these different places and then your not fitting the bill for marketing or materials so forth but your still able to promote the overall mission statement of the ABS.

The forged blade. I think there is room for further discussion in this area and tapping into local programs would be beneficial I believe. I offer my shop up for hammer-Ins and so forth as well, I’m a new maker who doesn’t mind helping the ABS as I have in the past in anyway possible.

Posted : 20/01/2020 1:00 am
Page 4 / 4
Share: