Notifications
Clear all

Topic Suggestions

13 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
BrionTomberlin
Topic starter

First I want to wish everyone a Happy New year. I hope you have had a good holiday season. For the topic this month I would like to get our members input. I would like your suggestions for topics to cover. I know we have a number of new members, so let me know what we can help with or what you would like to discuss. Anything from basic forging, steel, handle techniques, judging, or more advanced things like folders or damascus. Let me know and I will make a list.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions.

Have a great 2018.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 31/12/2017 3:50 pm
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Happy new year to all ABS members and your families!

A few topics I would be interested to learn more about are below:

Integral forging and grinding

Tips to achieve a good antique fit on handles and spacers

Tips on fitting curved or pointed guards to square shoulder on the ricasso for hidden tang knives

key hole handle construction

Advanced mosaic Damascus pattern creation

Posted : 01/01/2018 9:38 am
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Brion,

These days there are many beginning knife makers who are contemplating building or adding to their shop. A topic that I believe many would be interested in would be shop equipment & tools. What tools are absolutely necessary and what tools are nice to have but not critical in a forging shop.

Also, what brands of tools are the most dependable and the best investment. How much lighting and how many outlets do I need? Do I need 220v outlets? Single phase or three phase 220v?

Gary

Posted : 01/01/2018 3:29 pm
Miguel Angel

Creo ser el miembro mas nuevo de este foro.

Por mi parte me gustaria saber de tiendas donde importar a mi pais o mas bien tiendas que hagan exportaciones a distintas partes del mundo, en este caso aceros como el 1095, D2, 15N20, maderas exoticas e insumos en general

Pero tambien sera una excelente idea tener una base de datos de uso general para todos los miembros del grupo.

Saludos y feliz año a todos.

Mi guel Angel Sanhueza Lang.
Cuchillos Artesanales Yensen
https: //www.instagra..._custom_knives/
https: //www.facebook...100006937380193
Puerto Montt
Chile

Posted : 01/01/2018 4:38 pm
Jesse_Smith

Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this fine group of folks again another year.

I wouldn't mind discussing...

- Etching Damascus, San Mai, wrought iron: procedure, time, cycles, polishing, favorite material combinations, etc.

- guard/spacer/pommel finishes, bluing, textures, etc.

- Heat or salt coloring of blades, guards, etc

OH and engraving or other ornate decorations.

Posted : 01/01/2018 6:26 pm

There are some good ideas already mentioned above. I’d second the integral one, specifically forging techniques with AND without power hammer/press, keeping the blade centered during forging, grinding techniques, and tooling/techniques for mating up the face of the handle material with the tang side of the integral bolster. It seems different makers approach these kinds of knives from different perspectives and I’d love to see how everyone tackles them.

Jeremy

Jeremy Lindley, Apprentice Smith

Posted : 04/01/2018 12:25 am

Happy new year everyone. No real suggestions from me I wouldhowever like to thank all of the masters and journeyman and everyone who has helped me out over the past 5 years or so. If it weren't for the ABS I'd still be trying to feel my way around a room with the lights off.

Posted : 04/01/2018 10:30 am

I spend a lot of time reading and re-reading the "Topic of the Month". It may be boring for the experienced crowd, but I'd love to revisit or even just put a slight spin on many of the topics that were started in 2011-12. When I see how many different 2x72 grinders are available today vs. 2 years ago I realize just how fast tools, techniques, and manufacturers seem to change.

For example....there is a great Topic of the Month back in 2012 in which trip hammers were discussed. I'd be curious to see what information would be shared if we discussed the options available/preferred for self contained pneumatic hammers, best bang for your buck when buying today, etc.

Posted : 04/01/2018 7:37 pm
BrionTomberlin
Topic starter

Thank you all for responding. Great suggestions and I am keeping a list.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 04/01/2018 10:23 pm
BrionTomberlin
Topic starter

Thank you all for responding. Great suggestions and I am keeping a list.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 04/01/2018 10:23 pm

some subjects I would be interested in, Wrought iron, key hole handle construction, and Integral forging.

Posted : 17/01/2018 9:35 am
Joshua States

Steel smelting (both hearth and crucible).

Different cultural blade forms (Japanese/Chinese, India and subcontinent, Pre-Medieval European, etc.).

Axes and tomahawks.

Spears and other polearms.

Casting techniques for fittings.

Sword history, design and construction.

Knife history (from Stone Age Flint Knapping through WWII)

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 27/01/2018 11:17 am
Trusted Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Is it possible to invite guest master or journeyman smiths who specialize in the monthly topic to get their input? We are very lucky to have input from all the knowledgeable mastersmiths, Journeymansmiths and admin who regularly contribute but it might be a good way to get more people involved in the forum?

I was just reading a very old post on Hamon where John White who was invited to the Forum by Brion to give his input!

Posted : 15/02/2018 5:02 am
Share: