Notifications
Clear all

Octagonal Knife Handle

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Hello all. I'm working on designing my first Chef's Knife pre build here and I notice a lot of them have a tapered, octagonal handle. I've never held a knife like this so before I decide that's what I want to make I wanted to know if these are comfortable/functional handles. Also, is this something you draw out and just shape on the belt grinder, or are there other methods for making this? If I go this route, I plan on making the handle out of Curly Maple with a Stainless spacer/bolster on the front.

Thanks as always for your time!

Travis<><

Posted : 18/02/2019 1:33 pm
Karl B. Andersen

I'm not a kitchen knife maker, but when I make octagonal handles I shape the front guarg/bolster/spacer/etc. first as I want it to be and then shape the handle material TO IT!! (Use it as a guide)

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 18/02/2019 3:24 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

I'm not a kitchen knife maker, but when I make octagonal handles I shape the front guarg/bolster/spacer/etc. first as I want it to be and then shape the handle material TO IT!! (Use it as a guide)

Thanks Karl. When you do the shaping for something like this, do you do the taper first, or the octagonal shape?

Travis<><

Posted : 18/02/2019 4:11 pm
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

Thanks Karl. When you do the shaping for something like this, do you do the taper first, or the octagonal shape?

Travis<><

The taper of what part?

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 19/02/2019 8:30 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

The taper of what part?

If I'm trying to do a tapered handle, smaller at the guard and larger at the end, do I taper the handle or cut the bevels for my octagonal shape first?

Thanks,

Travis<><

Posted : 19/02/2019 9:31 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

If I'm trying to do a tapered handle, smaller at the guard and larger at the end, do I taper the handle or cut the bevels for my octagonal shape first?

Thanks,

Travis<><

So using Karl's method, you would make two octagonal metal pieces, the front bolster and a sacrificial butt cap. Then grind the handle material down to the caps. When I do an octagonal handle I shape the taper in a square and then took the corners down until I had it basically even all around. I shape the handle off the knife so I don't have to avoid the blade while grinding. And yes, they are very comfortable and people will buy them. (please pardon the schmootz on the blade in the photo)

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 19/02/2019 10:06 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

So using Karl's method, you would make two octagonal metal pieces, the front bolster and a sacrificial butt cap. Then grind the handle material down to the caps. When I do an octagonal handle I shape the taper in a square and then took the corners down until I had it basically even all around. I shape the handle off the knife so I don't have to avoid the blade while grinding. And yes, they are very comfortable and people will buy them. (please pardon the schmootz on the blade in the photo)

Thank you Joshua. That helps immensely. I think I'm going to give it a whirl and see what I can come up with.

Thanks again!

Travis Briles<><

Posted : 20/02/2019 7:41 pm
Share: