Notifications
Clear all

Handle Thickness

5 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I have a curly maple board 1 13/16" thick. I am doing a mortise tang. My question is how thick to cut the handle scales without much waste. Thanks

Posted : 14/02/2019 7:12 pm

What size knife are you going to make? The thickness can very with the size of the knife.

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 14/02/2019 8:49 pm
Topic starter

Hunting knife. 5 inch handle. I make hidden tang knives mostly. I usually just take a full block and drill out the tang hole. But I want something more uniform on this round of knives

Posted : 14/02/2019 9:24 pm
Mike Williams

Ripping to 3/8 thick will give you room to round things nicely. On a piece that thick I would rip the center; then pick the side I like best and rip that again.

Two handles worth is about all that thickness can give; an easy two handles is much better than trying to get three and they are all too thin.

2 cents worth

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 15/02/2019 8:09 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Ripping to 3/8 thick will give you room to round things nicely. On a piece that thick I would rip the center; then pick the side I like best and rip that again.

Two handles worth is about all that thickness can give; an easy two handles is much better than trying to get three and they are all too thin.

2 cents worth

I appreciate it. I understand what you are saying I edited my post and can't take the pic off.

Attached files

Posted : 15/02/2019 4:34 pm
Share: