Notifications
Clear all

Heat treat ovens?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hey guys. I’m looking at getting a heat treat ovens. I looked around online and I found parigrin and even heat. There are so many options I got lost and i was wondering if y’all think one is better or what kind you would recommend and any other advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys! 

Posted : 23/05/2021 7:54 pm
Karl B Andersen
Journeyman Bladesmith Forum Moderator

All I will add is that I have had my Evenheat for 20 years.

Even the old simple 4 program capabilities of that controller do everything I have ever needed.

It's still in use today. All I've ever had to do is replace burned out coils.

Posted : 24/05/2021 6:48 am
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

I have both an Evenheat and a Paragon my my shop.  The Evenheat is an old workhorse that I have been using since 1994, but since it has been used to fire salt baths I have had to replace a lot of components due to ugly accidents that were no fault of the kiln.  The controllers and relays are customized by me, and so go a bit beyond what may come stock.

The Paragon is a new unit that I got about three years ago to help with some of my teaching.  It has some bells and whistles, like argon purge.  This is the fastest heating kiln I have ever worked with. 

Other than some bells and whistles, either high tech or low tech could do anything I need for basic bladesmithing.  Either unit will work quite well.    

Posted : 24/05/2021 9:00 am
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

Any of the "Top Brands" are good choices.  I personally like the Paragon kilns the best.   Since these are what I consider "long term" investments, make sure you think beyond your current circumstances before ordering.  That means to think of what you might need, and where you will be in a few years, and ensure you purchase an oven that will meet your needs.   Many don't do that, and end up purchasing an oven that is too short to fulfill future needs... and end up buying another/again.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Ed Caffrey

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 25/05/2021 8:32 am
Share: