Notifications
Clear all

Pid Controller

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
14.9 K Views
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

I recently got my high temp salt pot going (I followed Ed Caffrey's wiring diagram--extremely helpful), but I am having trouble with the PID controller.

I think I have it set up correctly, but I'm just following the manual, which seems to assume a lot of background knowledge...which I don't have.

Here is how I have it set up:

IntY: backwards y (for a K thermocouple)

OutY: 2

HY: 0003

P56: 0000

rd: 0

CorF: 1 (for degrees F)

I have the temp set at 1490, but when the temp registers at 900 F it shuts down until the temp drops to 800 F, then it fires up again...until 900 F, when it then shuts down.

Any one out there using one of these? What am I doing wrong?

Steve

Posted : 25/12/2016 9:06 pm
Robert Wright

Steve, have you down loaded the instruction manual? I use a PID for reading the temps in my forge,but have never programed one for what you are doing.

Bob

Posted : 29/12/2016 1:38 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Steve, have you down loaded the instruction manual? I use a PID for reading the temps in my forge,but have never programed one for what you are doing.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the manual, but I don't have the knowledge needed to really make much sense of it. Now that I've been playing around with it, the different settings are starting to make sense, however.

I've been in touch with Ed Caffrey, and he's been incredibly helpful in figuring things out. Turns out I had most of the settings close to right, and didn't know about other settings that I needed to have set up. Once I get it figured out I'll post the settings here to the forum. AND, I think the controller I was using wasn't working properly...when I switched controllers and used the same parameters it seemed to work fine.

Ed has been incredibly helpful, and once I get things figured out with him I'll post back to the forum the parameters that work.

Steve

Posted : 30/12/2016 12:50 am
Topic starter

Ok. With Ed Caffrey's help, I got the PID up and running. I owe Ed a huge THANK YOU for his patient assistance. We figured out that the PID unit I had was not working properly, and I was lucky that I had a second standing by to replace it.

Here are the settings that ended up working for the JLD612. Important to note, I wired up the unit just like Ed shows on his website., and these settings worked for my JLD612, but they probably won't work for other units.

For Code 0089:

Inty= K

Outy= 0

HY= 0

PSb= 0000

Rd= 0

Corf= 1

For Code 0036:

P= 05.0

I= 0100

D= 020

SouF= 02