Notifications
Clear all

Using Map Torches

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was thinking about picking up a MAP/OXY brazing torch this weekend to help draw back spines. Question is, does it get hot enough or is it just better to get an oxy/aceyt torch and be done with it?

Posted : 10/02/2017 4:22 pm
Ed Caffrey
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith

The choice is going to come down to what YOU want, and what you want to do with it. MAPP gas isn't as "hot" as acetylene, but it's significantly less expensive. If all you're planning to do is use it as a heating device, MAPP will be fine, but if you ever want to braze or weld, you might consider acetylene.

I know the last time I went to refill my "Q" size bottle of acetylene (just after Thanksgiving), the cost had jumped from $63 to $99.97. That made me start thinking of less expensive alternatives, but right now there's really nothing out there that matches or beats acetylene for my purposes.

Ed Caffrey, ABS MS
"The Montana Bladesmith"
www.CaffreyKnives.net

Posted : 10/02/2017 5:34 pm
Topic starter

I'm still very new to knife making. Haven't really tried to braze/weld yet. Mastersmith Mike Williams taught us in class to use an oxy/acet torch but the cost is prohibitive as I'm still trying to get a decient shop up and running. Saving were I can for now.

Posted : 10/02/2017 6:00 pm
BrionTomberlin

Matthew if all you are going to be doing is drawing spines a propane torch will work fine. Takes longer but works great. The mapp/oxy works well but if you are thinking about the small bottles you go through the O2 pretty quick.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 10/02/2017 10:51 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Matthew

I would suggest picking up a propane Turbo Torch Kit. They come with interchangeable tips, small to large, about a 10 foot hose and regulator. It hooks up to your 20 lb or larger propane bottle.

will last a very long time, and you can use the torch at any angle. That is something you can not do with most of the small torch's that screw onto the disposable propane bottles.

You can all so go with a oxy/aceyt. kit, install a propane tip and use reg. propane in place of the acetylene. Some welding shops do this to cut cost. But as Ed said propane does not get as hot

and takes a little longer to do the same job. I have used all the above, and the Turbo Torch Kit would be my suggestion to you.

See you at the Hammer-In

Anthony

Posted : 11/02/2017 8:44 am
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Matthew if all you are going to be doing is drawing spines a propane torch will work fine. Takes longer but works great. The mapp/oxy works well but if you are thinking about the small bottles you go through the O2 pretty quick.

What Brion said! I bought a map/oxy set-up for soldering and regretted it. The oxy tanks only last for about 20 minutes of work time.

Posted : 11/02/2017 9:06 am
Topic starter

Thanks for the replies!!! I know what I'm going to do now.

Posted : 11/02/2017 9:20 am
Joshua States

I may be a little late to this party, but I use the mapp/oxy torch for brass & bronze brazing all the time. I have never noticed the oxy running out quickly either. This is the one I purchased many years ago and it has served me well for small work like brazing a threaded rod/sleeve on to a tang or into a finial/pommel. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WK5500-Brazing-Torch-Kit-361487/300055608

You can also use the Mapp gas bottles with a standard plumber's torch for heating jobs that require more heat or faster than propane can produce.

Something like this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Premium-Torch-Head-328626/203718633

will fit any Mapp gas or small propane bottle you can buy at Home Depot/Lowes/Ace Hardware, etc.

These work great for breaking the temper on a tang, drawing back folder springs, and such.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 12/02/2017 11:20 pm
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Point of confusion for me, I thought MAPP had been discontinued and replaced with MAP-Pro. And is there a difference?

Posted : 04/03/2017 11:58 am
Karl B. Andersen

|quoted:

What Brion said! I bought a map/oxy set-up for soldering and regretted it. The oxy tanks only last for about 20 minutes of work time.

I got mine - tried it - it gathered dust for about three years - threw it out.

Bought an O/A set and never regretted it. Plus, I can high temp weld, braze, cut - everything the 'big boys' can.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 04/03/2017 3:09 pm
Joshua States

|quoted:

I know the last time I went to refill my "Q" size bottle of acetylene (just after Thanksgiving), the cost had jumped from $63 to $99.97. That made me start thinking of less expensive alternatives, but right now there's really nothing out there that matches or beats acetylene for my purposes.

Ed, have you considered making the move to oxy-propylene? I know that some of the bigger steel erection companies out here use that instead of acetylene because of cost. I friend of mine has a rig and told me it's the best option for cost considerations.

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 07/03/2017 10:55 pm
New Member Guest

I've had one of those oxy Mapp kits, and they are basically worthless. I'd sooner buy an air acetylene turbo torch. I've got one I use for soldering guards with a small tip, and it does a great job. The big tips put out an unbelievable amount of heat.

I've got 3 or 4 oxy acetylene torches, and a couple tank sets as well. Those are really the best if you can afford it. I used it for most of my heat treating for the first year or two I made knives, and it worked great until I got an evenheat. I still use it almost daily for heating and brazing tangs. Cutting can be very useful as well, although not as much if you only make knives.

Posted : 18/05/2017 4:18 pm
Share: