Quenching Tank From...

Notifications
Clear all

Quenching Tank From 5 Gallon Soda Keg

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Reactions
New Member Guest

Greetings. This is my first post as a new associate member, so please forgive me if this has been covered before.

I just purchased a 5 gallon stainless steel soda keg off of EBay based on a recommendation I read that said it would make a good quench tank. It's the kind you see behind the bar in restaurants with a plastic or rubber handles at the top and an oval opening that seals airtight with kind of a levered handle.

I wanted to see if anyone else uses a tank like this for quenching and whether you made any modifications to the tank before putting it to this use (e.g., did you cut the top off to open up the tank more or do you use it with the existing oval opening).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Posted : 25/11/2017 10:56 am

Mike,

I have one that I use as is. Used it for 7 years. I did make a wooden top to keep the oil from splashing out when I move it around.

Ken

Posted : 26/11/2017 5:45 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Mike,

I have one that I use as is. Used it for 7 years. I did make a wooden top to keep the oil from splashing out when I move it around.

Ken

Posted : 26/11/2017 9:34 pm
New Member Guest

Thanks Ken. Much appreciated!

Posted : 26/11/2017 9:35 pm
Noble Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Mike,

I'm not familiar with the tank that you mention but 5 gallon is a very good size. Beyond that it should have some type of removable lid and enough room with the lid off to agitate your blades while quenching and be able to be covered when not in use.

Gary

Posted : 28/11/2017 4:08 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

Mike,

I'm not familiar with the tank that you mention but 5 gallon is a very good size. Beyond that it should have some type of removable lid and enough room with the lid off to agitate your blades while quenching and be able to be covered when not in use.

Gary

Thanks Gary. I'm going to give it a try and see if I need to enlarge the opening, but I think it's going to work fine.

Posted : 28/11/2017 10:55 pm

I just finished a slack tub for general smithing made from a larger keg, it's pretty handy. I got the idea from the John C. Campbell Folk School where the quench tanks are all old kegs. A smaller one for blades makes great sense.

Jacob T. Lutz

Posted : 30/11/2017 10:41 am
New Member Guest

|quoted:

I just finished a slack tub for general smithing made from a larger keg, it's pretty handy. I got the idea from the John C. Campbell Folk School where the quench tanks are all old kegs. A smaller one for blades makes great sense.

I'm anxious to try it!

Posted : 02/12/2017 8:38 pm
Share: