Signing Up To Sell ...

Notifications
Clear all

Signing Up To Sell At A Knife And Gun Show?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Im finally compertable with my skills to the point I am going to attend my first show as a seller. However, I am not sure who I contact to reserve a table as I do not want to drive 150-300 miles only to find out there are no space nor do i want to make more then one phone call if i can help it. so do I call the host location Stillwater armory, MN or do I contact the sponsor to reserve a table to sell my wears at. Also do I have to provide the table. Also whats a minimum amount of total knifes i should bring to sell as I only have about 2 months to make enough blades. planing on making some 5 bar laminate blades like the one in the picture included with this however am a bit worried about my sheath design as its a non traditional sheath. the blade in the photo is my latest EDC blade and I have used a sheath like this for my last three EDC blades. They hold the blade in firmly and will not slip from shock yet are easy to draw. i have used three different EDC blades over the last few months do to the fact that my skills have improved by leaps and bounds over the last year and i feel that my EDC should reflect the best my skills as i will always have a example a blade that is the best i can make on me at all times.

The blade shown is a 52100 primary core with a secondary 80CRV2 core and finally jacketed in 1018, acid etched. The handle is red linen micarta and the pins are 3/16th inch brass pins.

The sheath is glued on paracord, wrapped over a core of instamorph moldable plastic and has a belt or lanyard attachment point. I use it as a belt attachment. the reason the wrap does not go all the way down the sheath is cause i miss judged how much i needed and ran out of cord.

Thanks for your help these passed posts which i believe are over 8000 now.

Attached files

Posted : 07/09/2017 12:19 am
Lin Rhea

Please consider resizing your photos Kevin.

I'm not ignoring your question. I'll check back in a bit. Maybe someone else can help in the mean time.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 07/09/2017 8:24 am
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Kevin,

Follow the link below and if this is the show, you need to contact them by phone or email to make reservations and answer your questions about their show. I'm sure others will chime in with some tips on doing your very first show.

My own tip to you is be prepared to break some big bills making change, most folks I deal with at gun shows who are there to buy carry cash, a pocket full of Benjamin's not a grocery sack full of singles.

Steve Seib

Posted : 07/09/2017 1:27 pm
Lin Rhea

Kevin, Since this forum is mainly to educate directly about forged knife making I want to discourage business discussion as such. Of course we all know that a lot of us are making knives to sell.

But, as Steve pointed out, it seems reasonable to go straight to the source of information via a website or show official. That would be to get details about the table particulars.

As for tips and advice, get with a veteran of knife shows and bend his or her ear and please follow any sound advice you get.

One other possibility before you jump in with both feet is to attend a custom knife show as an attendee and determine if you will be comfortable in that environment offering your work.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 07/09/2017 1:43 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Please consider resizing your photos Kevin.

I'm not ignoring your question. I'll check back in a bit. Maybe someone else can help in the mean time.

I did resize them there at 1020x726 pixels. well the 1020 is a little over sized i thought that the 726pixle setting offset that.

Posted : 07/09/2017 2:27 pm
Topic starter

Trying to not take up so much room by doing a gen reply. as i always feel the need to justify why I do things I am getting that part out of the way. I feel that I am asking this for a small education on what to expect when selling a forged blade at a show and nothing else. I did ask about how I am doing with my sheath making and about the knife's aesthetics because I feel I have some odd tastes in blades.

I would like to be able to attend a show before going as a vendor. However, the problem here is small town i now I live in is 3 hours away form the twin cities, so its really long drive to spend a few hours at a show with another 3 hour drive home. the fact that my autism can cause panic attacks, I have never had trouble with public speaking so i should be able to handle it, push comes to shove i have my anti anxiety medication that should help. I have been at a simulator event to a gun show before so i feel i should be comfortable.

I planed on having a some cash on hand already. and i will be emailing the guys after i finish this post. I'll see if I cant have a family member attend with me for this show, for some emotional support.

Posted : 07/09/2017 3:00 pm
Share: