2013 Abs Expo - Bladesmithing Seminars

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

2013 American Bladesmith Society Expo

Bladesmithing Seminars

The 2013 Expo in San Antonio, Texas will begin on Friday, January 25th at 9am with an outstanding line up of seminars. You will be able to learn different aspects of knife making and have your questions answered by some outstanding and experienced ABS bladesmiths.

Collectors should consider attending these seminars to gain a better understanding of the knives they collect.

For everyone interested in making or collecting knives there will be something for you.

2013 Seminar Schedule

Expo Seminar Schedule.pdf

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 26/12/2012 2:01 am
Kevin R. Cashen

I have yet to put together my notes for my talk so this would be a great opportunity for anybody who is attending to give any suggestions on what heat treatig topics they would like to have included.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 28/12/2012 9:11 pm
Estimable Member Master Bladesmith

All,

I will be presenting on the ABS History. I have created a fairly extensive slide show with photos of the early years and first hammer-ins. I hope it is informative and interesting to any who plan to attend. I think it is important to know our beginnings and those who led the way.

Dan

Posted : 02/01/2013 3:56 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

Dan:

I am looking forward to your presentation on the ABS History in San Antonio. I agree that you need to know where you have been before you can determine where you are going.

I have a brief 1 minute and 19 second video clip of ABS history below that our members may find very interesting.

[media] http://www.youtube.c...h?v=7iIFwYAjDQk [/media]

Now, after watching that clip of ABS Founder Bill Moran I want to let everyone know that the American Bladesmith Society has now grown to more than 1,200 members in 19 countries. We now have ABS Schools at not only Texarkana College in Washington, Arkanasas but also Haywood Community College in Clyde, North Carolina and the New England School of Metalwork in Auburn, Maine.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 02/01/2013 5:29 pm
New Member Guest

|quoted:

I have yet to put together my notes for my talk so this would be a great opportunity for anybody who is attending to give any suggestions on what heat treatig topics they would like to have included.

Mr. Cashen I am looking forward to your seminar on heat treating. I would like it if you have time to discuss:

1) The pros/cons of multiple quenches for certain types of steel.

and

2) Decarburization.

Thank you.

Posted : 04/01/2013 12:32 pm
Kevin R. Cashen

I am so far behind that I am shutting down the shop around midnight these days, so I may not have a full preplanned talk like I prefer. But that is not a bad thing since it allows the adaptability to disscus exactly what the audience is most interested in. Heat treating is such a wide topic that one can cover it fairly comprehensively and still not even touch aspects that some people wanted to hear. But what this thread, and input such as yours, Joshua, can do is help me bring the right reference materials and to best match the interest of the audience. Thank you.

|quoted:

Mr. Cashen I am looking forward to your seminar on heat treating. I would like it if you have time to discuss:

1) The pros/cons of multiple quenches for certain types of steel.

and

2) Decarburization.

Thank you.

"One test is worth 1000 'expert' opinions" Riehle Testing Machines Co.

Posted : 04/01/2013 1:23 pm
New Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor (5yr)

This past weekend I was able to complete the rest of my 50 page power point presentation. It's very detailed and will hopefully provide some insight to how I put together frame handled knives.

Posted : 23/01/2013 12:14 pm
Admin_DJC305
Topic starter

The 2014 American Bladesmith Society Exposition is set for January 25 and 26, 2014 in San Antonio, Texas. Please mark your calendar.

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 29/01/2013 1:58 pm
Share: