Clear all

Another Aussie

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

G'day All

I joined up a year ago, got busy and never got around to an introduction.

I originally started my working life as a farrier and spent some time with a couple of blacksmiths while learning the trade way back then. I made a couple of rough knives at the time from worn out rasps, but nothing too serious. ( or good for that matter) I grew up camping, fishing and hunting so have always used knives, I've still got my original Old Timer pocket knife from when I was 12.

30 odd years later I met with Master Bladesmith James Rodebaugh at a shooting competition in New Mexico. He showed us a few knives he had, a picture portfolio of amazing blades he had created and I came home with a desire to learn more and have a go. Still on the uphill of curve of a beginner but I've been turning out knives that will do what they are designed and made for, should last a lifetime and my customers are more than pleased with.

I recently presented my three knives for assessment for probationary membership in the Australian Knifemakers Guild and passed with flying colours. I received very helpful feedback on where I need to improve and what to concentrate on. While I have no dream to go full-time, it is my intention to do this to the highest standard I can.

Can't figure out how to show photos on here.

Most of my work so far is posted on  australianbladeforums as DMac if anyone is interested.

Posted : 03/07/2023 1:20 am
Share: