Notifications
Clear all

New Member from New Jersey

3 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Richard Carpenter
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hello, everyone!

My name is Rich.  I live in Bordentown, NJ... a few miles south of Trenton, NJ or about 35 miles northeast of Philadelphia, PA.  I have been "moving hot metal" for a few months, so I am very new.

I got interested in blacksmithing and metalworking many years ago, while I was in the Marine Corps.  I took a welding course where the instructor talked about blacksmithing, and I visited his forge -- a small set up where he did a mix of blacksmithing and farrier work, and I thought it was neat.  However, I had neither the time, space, or money to start forging back then... obviously.  Fast forward many years into the future -- I've put myself through college, started a career, got married, have a family, etc., etc., -- and that "bug" was there bothering me the whole time.  I've gone to a few blacksmithing demonstrations over the years where I've asked questions and picked people's brains.

Now, I have some time, space, and money to actually get involved in blacksmithing/forging.  More importantly, I got permission from "The CFO" to invest in what is needed to get started.  I've lurked through these forums for a bit after I joined the ABS.  I ordered a few books from the ABS store that I'm waiting to arrive.  I have a modest back yard set up: an 80-pound anvil, a propane forge, a coal forge, and some basic tools.  I recently took a weekend-long class where the result was a good bit of learning and a forged knife.

I am also a member of ABANA and am currently going through the lessons to complete their National Curriculum Level 1 certificate program.

Posted : 30/06/2023 11:11 am
Richard Carpenter
Topic starter

Thanks for the reply, Michael Samdahl!  It's nice to informally meet you, also.

Yes, New Jersey Steel Baron is nearby, as is Fazzio Steel (for mild steel for blacksmithing).  I'd love to take an ABS bladesmithing course, but that probably won't happen between responsibilities at work and at home.

I plan to practice forging techniques on mild steel and then move on to 1084 or 80CrV2.  For the time being, I'm in research and reading mode.

Posted : 09/07/2023 8:49 pm
Richard Carpenter
Topic starter

I bought two books from the ABS Store: "Introduction to Bladesmithing" by Jay Hendrickson and "Damascus Steel/Knifemaking" by Bill Moran.  I have also been watching a few videos by Jason Knight on YouTube.

I'll be able to start putting things into practice soon because I built a new stand for my anvil and a stand for my leg vise with a lot of help from a blacksmith I've taken classes with and has been helping with some hands-on training.  I've attached a photo of them as they sit on the edge of my drive.  The vise "leg" is seated in a catch ring at the bottom and c-clamped to the table so I can mark where I need to drill the holes for the mounting bolts.

My "shop" is my back yard.  I stash my forging equipment in my tool shed when I'm not using it.  I do not have a dedicated building or a garage, so I'm "roughing it".  I'm also all hand tools because of the same issue.

Posted : 11/07/2023 8:47 pm
Share: