Notifications
Clear all

Good Morning From Az

8 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Just an introduction from a new member out of Arizona. It's forging season around here.

My name is Dave Kelley, I make stuff....anything really. I do enjoy the forge a lot and plan to continue on and make blades more frequently. I've done several blades and a handful of damascus blades by hand. I have a cramped full to the gills shop for woodworking and metal working so most of what I make has nothing to do with knives but that will change in the future. I am here to start the journey to become a journeyman smith. It's a long journey but hopefully one day I'll get there.

I work in IT during the day and have a couple of teenagers still at home, one has taken an interest in blade work so that's fantastic. My wife is about as supportive as any person can be for another so I'm very lucky in that department as well.

I forge in the backyard all by hand for now but I do have a press on it's way. Nothing fancy but it should cut some time and energy on damascus billets at least. My strongest suit in most of what I make is fit and finish, because that's my strong suit it means my time management is the worst! Overall, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing better than the next guy/gal.

Thanks for reading the ramble. I'll learn a lot here I imagine. I'll share pics and posts along the way in my journey and I look forward to meeting new people here as well.

Posted : 14/11/2019 12:20 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Hello from Phoenix Dave and welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing your work and maybe a shop pic.

Gilbert McCann

Posted : 14/11/2019 5:13 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Dave

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 14/11/2019 7:45 pm
Joshua States

Welcome to the forum and the ABS. I am also in AZ, up in the New River area. Where are you located?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 14/11/2019 8:52 pm

Welcome to the ABS Dave!!

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 14/11/2019 10:41 pm
Lin Rhea

Welcome Dave. Let us know what we can do to help.

You're doing your kids a good deed by teaching them these things and involving them. That variety you spoke of will offer them insight that will cross over into knives as well as other things that they will create.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 15/11/2019 8:59 am

Hey Dave, I'm in Gilbert. Where do you live? Great place to be. Let us know if you need something

ryan

Posted : 20/12/2019 4:03 pm

Welcome here Dave - nice to have you.

Posted : 23/12/2019 9:52 am
Share: