Notifications
Clear all

Greetings From Owego, New York

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

My name is Dave Russell and I am from Owego, NY. I started playing around with making knives about 5 yr. ago or so. In 2016 I retired from my job after a long career and as a retirement hobby started spending more time making knives and learning. In the spring of 2017 I had the privilege of meeting MS Raymond Smith and have visited his forge a few times since. The knowledge Ray shared with me gave me a real boost up the learning curve!

To date most of the knives I have made was with the stock removal process. About a year ago I built a small propane forge and over this past summer forged my first blades. I will continue to make stock removal knives but plan to do more forging when I can.

I have a small shop in my basement with the basic tools (2X72 Coote belt grinder, drill press, hand tools) and do my forging and heat treating (Evenheat KH418 oven) outside (weather dependent). Most of my stock removal blades have been from 1084, 15N20, and O1 and my forged blades from 1084 and 5160.

I currently have a long list of knives I want to build for fun and learning, including forging, forge welding, different styles, different steels, different wood for handles, etc. I am sure when I get them all done I will still have a long list of things I want to build!

Posted : 15/01/2019 6:56 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

David

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 15/01/2019 11:35 am

Welcome to the ABS David

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 15/01/2019 7:48 pm

Welcome David!!

Posted : 20/01/2019 12:26 am
Share: