Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Orange County Ny

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello everyone. My name is Matthew Paul, and started making knives full time in 2011. I joined here back in 2012 but let my membership laps. I've come a long way since then. Over the past year I've been working with Greg Cimms a couple days a week up at his shop. I primarily make hunting and woods knives but also do some kitchen knives. On average about 250 knives leave my shop each year. I'll attach some photos of my work.

I started out forging knives, but a lot of what I do now is 50/50. I built my own power hammer some years back, and built a vertical blown forge this year for doing larger pieces of pattern-welded steel and axes.

Posted : 15/01/2019 10:22 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Matthew

Welcome back, nice work.

Anthony

Posted : 15/01/2019 11:37 am

Wow nice work. I like the variety. Welcome back!!

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 15/01/2019 7:44 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Gentlemen!

Posted : 16/01/2019 9:34 am
Lin Rhea

Very nice work. Also your photography is nice.

I'd like to know more about your fittings especially on the top two knives. Are they slid on a hidden tang and ground to shape?

Each knife has something extra that makes it more than just a plain knife. I like that. Detail of file work, color, texture, etc.

Very nice work. Any chance you're thinking of going for your stamp?

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 17/01/2019 11:56 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Very nice work. Also your photography is nice.

I'd like to know more about your fittings especially on the top two knives. Are they slid on a hidden tang and ground to shape?

Each knife has something extra that makes it more than just a plain knife. I like that. Detail of file work, color, texture, etc.

Very nice work. Any chance you're thinking of going for your stamp?

Thank you very much. Photography is a hobby of mine, which happens to work well with what we do. Im not sure which knives you are talking about as far as the fittings go, as the images are now in a different order since I resized them. But, the small Euro Chefs knife was glued then shaped. I made a mock up handle out of pine 2x3 prior to gluing this knife, so that I had a 3 dimensional model of what I wanted as a result.

The meat carving knife was a loose replica of an old family piece that I remade for a local farmer. That knife has 4 separate fittings of 303 stainless that were stacked to make the front piece. They were rough ground and filed to shape prior to being glued up. The intention was to make the entire fitting stack to match the original piece but they decided not to do it based on the extra cost.

The knife with the large "fuller" and black G10 guard/bolster was all preshaped except for the file work in the yellow burl spacer. I did most of the shaping with needle files on that one. It took some time to do. The knife was originally built as a takedown but I glued it and plugged the hole in the pommel where the corby bolt is located, as the customer who purchased it does use their knives and is not easy on them.

As far as going for the JS stamp, yes I would like to once the given 3 year period has passed.

Posted : 18/01/2019 9:14 am

Welcome back!! Great looking work.

Posted : 20/01/2019 12:27 am
Trusted Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hey Matt, good to have you back. You make some great looking knives.

Posted : 24/01/2019 10:15 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Jeff and Chad, I appreciate it.

Posted : 28/01/2019 10:49 am
Share: