Notifications
Clear all

Hello from Alberta

8 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Eminent Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good morning. My name is Ryan and live about an hour North of the Montana/Alberta border.  I started knife making a little more than a year ago, and forging about 4 months ago.  What can I say except for i’m hooked.  I’m joining the ABS really with the hopes that I can learn a ton and really make better knives.  Eventually I hope to get my JS but really for now wanting to connect with a community that I hope I can learn from.  So far the few knife makers in my area that I’ve connected with are stock removal only, and my interest is primarily around forged.  
Hoping to make it to a few event south of the border, but will depend on work schedules (doesn’t it always?). Maybe a quick weekend into Montana here and there if someone is hosting?  
anyways very excited to be here and really looking forward to meeting a bunch of you even if it is only virtual for now. 

RL

Posted : 11/08/2023 12:41 pm
Topic starter

Thanks so much Michael. 
Actually Great Falls is only 3 hours drive from me.  Very close.  
from a Quick run down the list you gave me, they are all out East or on the West coast. 

will definitely check out the classes Ed Caffrey Classes  

Posted : 11/08/2023 4:34 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith

Ryan Lehbauer Hi!

I am a few hours north of you in a suburb of Edmonton, St. Albert, and another hour east at North Buck Lake.  I am about 50/50 at each place.  Next year, just at the lake as I retire and take up bladesmithing full time.  I just broke ground on a new shop.  

Welcome to the journey!  If you are ever headed to the Edmonton area, give me a shout and we can catch a pint and swap some stories.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.
Phone: (780) 953-0016
Email: [email protected]
https://www.solarstorm.ca

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 14/08/2023 8:52 am
Topic starter

Hi Bob,

great to hear from you.  That’s actually really cool you’re on here and a member of ABS.  I’ve been following Solar Storm for a bit on FB and saw you broke ground for your shop.  That’s awesome.  Will definitely check in on your layout and see what you think.  I’m hoping maybe late next year or 2025 building my own at my place.  
likewise if you’re ever down this way let me know. Can definitely share some ideas and stories.  
Ryan

Posted : 15/08/2023 8:53 pm

My main problem with my shop is that the contractor is super lazy...  He shows up, gets distracted, goes fishing, wanders around, heads off to the range...

Then his wife asks him what he accomplished today... 

( I am the contractor 😉 

I am really hoping to have it closed in by snowfall.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.

“The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible" -- Arthur C. Clarke

Posted : 16/08/2023 10:07 am

Michael Samdahl Love the idea, Im going to be building for the next couple of months, and cant really say I know what Im doing, but would love to share my ideas like my triangle of heat, thinking of coal and propane when Im done, venting is a great discussion, the anvil and press and power hammer (dont have one yet...) so I guess that would be more of a diamond.

But absolutely.  maybe a virtual meeting late aug/early sept.?  Im dealing with the construction and my wife getting rear ended and my moms estate at the moment.

Bob Bryenton
Solar Storm Group Ltd.

Posted : 19/08/2023 4:53 pm
Topic starter

couple of additional thoughts as I’m hoping next year to dedicate a small shed/shop on my property and although tight I think I can fit into about a 20x12 (some stuff will continue to be in the garage but this will give me a forge area, enclosed grinding area, layout/hand sanding bench

Posted : 22/08/2023 6:42 pm
Topic starter

Sorry hit done when wasn’t done. 
a small air cleaner will do wonders for a small area grinding room, especially with resin and wood dust.  You can find them pretty cheap on Amazon.

lining areas with a fire resistant product or coating will do wonders for your finish around the forge. Even layering overtop w rated panel will keep temps on your drywall or wood backing well down of ignition.  Think about heating vents through roofs etc.  a 1” gap is usually all that required for fire code for separations to combustible material, at least here in Alberta.  Regular gwb will ignite at lower temps, but type x and shaft liner have a much higher heat resistance before they become compromised.

Posted : 22/08/2023 6:59 pm
Share: