Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Central Oklahoma

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

My name is Anthony Griggs. I have always had an interest in knives for as long as I can remember. Even from the first knife I tried to make from an old file when I was about 8 to 10 years old. And then got into trouble for wearing out the bench stone on the bench grinder. I tried to learn about knife making but back in the 60s and 70s there was not a lot of information available. I became very interested in forged knives from reading Bill Bagwell's articles when he was the knife editor in the magazine "Soldier of Fortune". Later I was able to meet Bill Bagwell and we became friends as he and his wife came out to dinner at our home. Now that I am retired, and with an interest in blacksmithing and a member of the Saltfork Blacksmith Association Club, I have started back working on knives. The internet has been a vast source of information. Sometimes it takes some digging but with these people: Ed Caffery, Kevin Cashen,Jim Crowell, Ed Clarke, Lin Rhea, Jerry Fisk, Nick Wheeler, James R. Cook, Joe Keeslar, Mike Williams, Stacy Apelt, and a host of many others whose articles, tutorials, and videos I have read, watched, and studied and they have helped me in my progression as becoming a knife maker. I have also used the information gleaned from the internet to build a lot of my equipment: a coal forge, a horizontal forge with ventura burners, a vertical forge with a blown burner, and a power hammer that works very well for making Damascus and general blacksmithing.

Thanks again to all who try to help others learn.

Anthony Griggs

Posted : 11/09/2015 6:46 pm
New Member Guest

Welcome Anthony. I am pretty knew around here, but I look forward to seeing what you make. Please share as you get the chance.

Chris

Posted : 11/09/2015 7:55 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Anthony. Good to have you in the ABS and the forum. A lot of good makers here in Oklahoma. I hope to see you at a KGA or ABS event.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 11/09/2015 8:16 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome Anthony. I am pretty knew around here, but I look forward to seeing what you make. Please share as you get the chance.

Chris

Thanks Chris, when I get some time I will

Anthony

Posted : 11/09/2015 9:40 pm
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome Anthony. Good to have you in the ABS and the forum. A lot of good makers here in Oklahoma. I hope to see you at a KGA or ABS event.

Brion

Thanks Brion, I sent my membership into the KGA a while back but have not heard back from Ray.

I am registered for the Piney Woods hammer in , during Oct. 3-4. Hope to see you around.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Posted : 11/09/2015 9:49 pm
Lin Rhea

Welcome to the ABS forum Anthony. Were glad you're here with us.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 12/09/2015 6:39 am
Mike Williams

|quoted:

Thanks Brion, I sent my membership into the KGA a while back but have not heard back from Ray.

I am registered for the Piney Woods hammer in , during Oct. 3-4. Hope to see you around.

Thanks again.

Anthony

Anthony;

Look me up at the Hammer-In and say hi.

Lots to see and hear, but the connections you make with other makers at these events will carry you much faster than you can imagine. We all rely on our buddy list when a head scrathing moment comes along.

Mike

Mike Williams

Master Smith

Posted : 12/09/2015 6:42 am

Hello Mr. Griggs, welcome to the ABS and forum. Look forward to seeing your work.

Posted : 12/09/2015 7:56 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Welcome to the ABS forum Anthony. Were glad you're here with us.

Thanks Lin.

Anthony

Posted : 12/09/2015 8:16 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Anthony;

Look me up at the Hammer-In and say hi.

Lots to see and hear, but the connections you make with other makers at these events will carry you much faster than you can imagine. We all rely on our buddy list when a head scrathing moment comes along.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I hope to see you.

Anthony

Posted : 12/09/2015 8:19 am
Topic starter

|quoted:

Hello Mr. Griggs, welcome to the ABS and forum. Look forward to seeing your work.

Thanks Ronald. Oh,just Anthony please.

Anthony

Posted : 12/09/2015 8:25 am
Share: