Notifications
Clear all

Hello From Illinois!

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Good afternoon, everyone! I'm finally getting around to posting my intro after a few weeks. I've been bladesmithing for about 4 years. I'm active duty Air Force (going on 21 years now) and was never really in the position to pursue my dreams of knife making until almost five years ago when I was stationed in Maryland and was in a non-deployable, stable assignment. That let me start building my shop and get to some great hammer ins at Baltimore Knife and Sword (where I met JJ Simon, who's taught me more than I could ever repay), and Ashokan, where I met Kevin Cashen, Nick Rossi, Tom Ward, Matt Parkinson, and many other of our esteemed colleagues here. I just got moved to Scott Air Force Base across the river from St. Louis, and love the area. I was even privelaged enough to watch Craig Camerer conduct his master smith performance test. To say I've been fortunate in who I've met and what I've been able to learn would be a ridiculous understatement. I started out learning by stock removal since I heard that it was one of the hardest parts of this, and an easy way to mess up several hours of forging was 30 seconds on a grinder. I figured I'd learn the hard part first, as well as start learning about metallurgy, design, heat treat, business, etc... Finally, I felt that I was good enough (with just enough knowledge to be dangerous) to really benefit from membership in the ABS and the continued development that comes with it. I'm looking forward to working with you all and if you're ever in the area, give me a shout!

Posted : 02/05/2018 2:26 pm
Karl B. Andersen

Welcome, Mike! If I had not had other pressing issues, I would have met you at Craig's. I live on the other side of the state 14 miles from Indiana.

If you ever find your self traveling this direction, my shop door is open.

Karl B. Andersen

Journeyman Smith

Posted : 02/05/2018 6:26 pm
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Mike

Welcome to the ABS and Forum.

Anthony

Posted : 03/05/2018 8:54 am
Lin Rhea

Welcome to the forum Mike.

Lin Rhea, ABS Mastersmith

[email="[email protected]"]Email me[/email]

www.rheaknives.com

Posted : 04/05/2018 2:15 pm

Welcome to the ABS. I live in Barnhart MO about 35 minutes from you. If you ever need anything let me know.

Posted : 06/03/2019 1:21 pm

Welcome to the ABS Mike

Want to see more of my work follow me on Instagram:JasonVolkertKnives

Want to get in touch with me [email="[email protected]"]Email[/email] me.

Posted : 06/03/2019 4:41 pm
Joshua States

Hey Mike! I must have missed this back in May. Glad you're here. Haven't seen much from you lately, are you deployed?

Joshua States

www.dosgatosforge.com

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdJMFMqnbLYqv965xd64vYg

https://www.facebook.com/dos.gatos.71

Also on Instagram and Facebook as J.States Bladesmith

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Posted : 06/03/2019 10:12 pm
Share: