Notifications
Clear all

New Kid On The Block: Nc Edition

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Hey guys! I decided that I have sat on the side lines long enough. Put me in Coach! Time to double down and start improving. I don't want to stall out. Gotta keep growing! I have been blacksmithing, strictly hobby fashion, for about 9-10 years total, but only bladesmithing for about 3. I am a former Marine, Former Professional chef, and your new resident goofball~! I sort of isolated myself so far in this craft, I am looking at expanding. I learned a lot hiding in the shadows and reading this forum as well as being a member at bladsmithsforums. Outside of this I had zero input in the form of in person instructional. I am interested in learning more about the 2 week(?) intro class by a master smith. Is this a Set class located somewhere, or can virtually and MS offer the class at any time? I met Jason Knight while I was visiting Kyle Gahagan's shop recently, he (they)convinced me to join the ABS.

Due to my background I personally like making kitchen knives the most however I am starting to dabble in more of the hunter realm. I vehemently want to make beaters users that will stand the test of time, not JUST something good to look at. Here are my last 2 involved pieces i finished earlier this month, and the knife im currently working on, still needs marking and some finishing touches before it gets mailed out. Some how blade smithing has become more of a 75% job in the last several months... and i love every minute of it! Shop improvements are coming and I think they will help dramatically. Attempting to sign up for Blade, to be determined if ill make it in.

Anyway, i have tons of questions we shall start with just the one.

Attached files

Posted : 30/09/2017 9:39 pm
BrionTomberlin

Hello Gabe. It is good to see you here. Welcome to the ABS and the forum. Your work is looking good.

The two week intro courses are offered at ABS schools around the country and overseas. There is one school in North Carolina at Hyde. Also in Arkansas, Maine, Ohio, Belgium, and South Africa. They have scheduled classes throughout the year. Go to the ABS website and in the upper left there is a schools button. That will give you information on them and scheduled classes.

Welcome again and post your questions.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 01/10/2017 10:01 am
Honorable Member Journeyman Bladesmith (5yr)

Gabriel

Welcome to the ABS and Forum. Nice work and the ABS schools are great.

Anthony

Posted : 01/10/2017 8:05 pm
Estimable Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Welcome to the ABS. Good looking blades you made there.

Posted : 01/10/2017 9:39 pm

Very nice work. We're glad you are here!

Posted : 02/10/2017 11:11 am
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)
Topic starter

Thanks for the Kind words Gentlemen. I tried to sneak into the 2 week class at the NC school, but it started today. Oh well theres always next time!

Posted : 02/10/2017 3:08 pm
Share: