Notifications
Clear all

New member Desmoines Iowa

5 Posts
4 Users
1 Reactions
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Good day everyone my name is Randy and like the topic says in in iowa and I am extremely excited to join your ranks of apprentice smiths and look forward to the day when I can take my JS tests

Posted : 15/12/2021 11:52 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Welcome Randy, feel free let any of us know how we can help you on your path to Journeyman.

Posted : 17/12/2021 7:24 pm
BRION TOMBERLIN
Forum moderator Forum Moderator

Welcome to the ABS and the forum Randy.

Brion

Posted : 17/12/2021 9:35 pm
New Member Apprentice Bladesmith
Topic starter

Who would know when classes are being  held and where with me being in central Iowa it will be a bit of a journey to get to some of the classes on either the west or east coast, so that being said it seems the best options would be SOFA or Colorado. I really want to achieve my abs MasterSmith certification but must first get my Journeyman rating and I could really use some more in depth training than the knowledge I currently possess 

Posted : 09/01/2022 9:50 pm
Steven Herrnstadt
Active Member Apprentice Bladesmith (5yr)

Hi Randy and welcome! The folks on here are a tremendous resource and you can take Kevin at his word as well as Brion. ABS is a guild dedicated to learning, sharing and teaching. That’s what attracted me I. The first place. There is so much knowledge here on virtually every aspect of bladesmithing and finishing.

Re classes there is one MasterSmith in Iowa not too far from you. Howard Clark offers some intro classes and has just posted this year’s schedule. His forge is called Morgan Valley. They are not official ABS classes so they won’t shorten your apprenticeship period. Howard’s a good teacher and a friend.

That said I took my ABS intro from Brion at the New England School of Metal Work. Excellent school. 

This post was modified 2 years ago 2 times by Steven Herrnstadt

Posted : 10/01/2022 4:41 pm
Share: