Notifications
Clear all

New Member from Ohio

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello,

I joined the ABS here recently(just got my apprentice card in the mail).

I have had an interest in blacksmithing and blades since early High School. After years of not being able to get into the hobby, I found the opportunity to take my first blacksmith class 10 years later(Talk about a long time). After the class, I got my first home with a work space I could call my own. I have been forging for 2 years, mostly outdoor camping equipment and have slowly worked towards learning how to forge knives. I have around 15 knives under my belt, including failures and have ALOT to learn. I recently changed jobs to focus more on my craft as I continue to build up my workspace. My goal is to eventually make a legacy out of my work, and if money allows, open a non profit community forge/shop to help those that cant afford tools etc. have a space to work & learn.

I am hoping this fall there will be a Knife Making class at Southern Ohio Forge & Anvil to attend to further my education and meet some like minded individuals. 

My goal is in the next 3-5 Years to achieve Journeyman Bladesmith. 

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to working with you all to achieve great things.

-Dan

Posted : 24/01/2022 12:09 pm
Kevin R. Cashen
Estimable Member Admin

Hello Daniel,  Welcome to the ABS.  The ABS School with SOFA has their Intro to Bladesmithing Class very year in late August to Correspond with the Mid America Hammer-In.  It is a very good deal because you get two weeks of Intro with the Hammer-In on the weekend in between.  I am normally an instructor for this course as it is an easy 5 hour drive from my home in MI. 

Posted : 24/01/2022 12:28 pm
Topic starter

Awesome! I actually live 45 minutes from Troy. I look even more forward to the fall now. Would you know the cost of the class/events by chance? I want to make sure I keep class money aside so I can attend. 

Posted : 24/01/2022 12:34 pm
Share: