Notifications
Clear all

New Member Intro

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
New Member Guest

Hello all,

I just wanted to introduce myself to the ABS. My name is Ryan Beasecker and I am very excited to give bladesmithing another go after about a 12 year absence. I also wanted to say how great it is to have so many experts under one roof that are so willing to help. I have already spent countless hours reading many of the posts and watching the ABS youtube channel. There is a ton of information to absorb!

Just a little about me: at a young age I was fascinated by swords and the heroes that wielded them. I'm sure books like Robin Hood, Lord of the Rings, Fafhad and the Grey Mouser, and movies like Conan and Excalibur are to blame. I made a few small stock removal knives in junior high and when I got to high school I went to the next step: I built a forge. It was made from cinder blocks and I use wood and the fuel. The blower from a shop vac provided the air supply. It was an utter disaster! Sure, it was hot enough to heat the steel, but it consumed the wood at an alarming rate and after about two hours the cinder blocks had totally disintegrated. Next, I build a forge from a truck tire rim. I went to coal for the fuel and used a hand crank blower. I used this forge for a number of years and even managed to successfully forge weld in it, but it was messy to use and I spent a lot of time maintaining the fire. A gas forge was the next logical step, and that's what I've been using ever since. I have made a couple of daggers and I have attempted a few swords too, but with little success. Now I want to learn the correct way to forge a blade. And I can't think of a better place to be. I'll be taking the Basic bladesmithing class this year and I can't wait.

I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a craft and I look forward to learning all I can and making some friends along the way.

sincerely,

Ryan Beasecker

Posted : 14/01/2013 5:05 pm
Admin_DJC305

Ryan

Welcome to the ABS Forum and the American Bladesmith Society. Please feel free to ask questions, and as you have noted there is a lot of information already posted by our members for you to take advantage of.

I put a lot of time into our videos so I am glad to hear that you found useful information and techniques by viewing the videos uploaded to the ABS YouTube Channel at: ABS YouTube

Dan Cassidy
Journeyman Smith
Send an email to Dan

Posted : 14/01/2013 8:02 pm
BrionTomberlin

Welcome Ryan. As Dan said ask any questions and we will try our best to answer them. This forum is a great resource for us.

Enjoy.

Brion

Brion Tomberlin

Anvil Top Custom Knives

ABS Mastersmith

Posted : 14/01/2013 10:51 pm
Steve Culver
Prominent Member Master Bladesmith/ABS Instructor

Ryan,

Welcome to the ABS and the Forum!!!

Posted : 15/01/2013 7:34 am
New Member Guest

Hey Ryan,

You sound like an adventurous go getter type guy! Glad to hear of your enthusiasm for another go at bladesmithing. What kind of knives do you like?

WELCOME!

Aloha, Phil

Posted : 17/01/2013 3:18 am
Share: