Notifications
Clear all

Newbie Historically inspired blade-smith from the UK

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
Michael Digby
Topic starter

Hello Everyone ! Mike here ....Born and raised in South Yorkshire-United Kingdom..... I've been forging for just over 2 years now, my main love stems from my love of History-primarily medieval History and hey who didn't love messing around with sticks when we were younger pretending they were swords ! 

It got to the point where i was so intrigued about blade geometries and characteristics that i had to buy myself the gear to get started.... and what a journey it has been so far.

i certainly like to incorporate an engineering approach to my blacksmithing, ( i like neat lines and symmetry) however i don't like machined looking pieces.... the first build i made was a middle age Quillon Dagger, then viking axe then finally a 38" sword....the addictiveness got greater and greater, i don't like setting my pieces to be the same every time .... and sometimes i could be blocked for a few weeks before i think of the next project. so its gone from viking swords to small skinners to Jungle Machetes to Medieval war hammers.

i love how the trade has got me into so many other craft techniques, just from forging alone got me into woodworking, leather working, engraving, engraving and inlaying, scabbard making and most importantly the scientific approach to heat treatments. It has also introduced me to so many wonderful knowledgeable and extremely talented blade smiths from around the world that have been a great help in my development.

i never have "quick projects " somehow a simple design can lead my imagination to places which sometimes makes my life so much more difficult than it needs to be ! haha

its a pleasure to be a new member of the ABS

Mike 

This topic was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Michael Digby

Posted : 28/04/2021 2:25 am
Share: